Cant connect my USB device (telescope) after PD 17.1.0 Update

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by yasara, Oct 19, 2021.

1. KavehV

KavehV Member

Report 385830716 has been sent. Please don't ask me to do this again as it requires several restarts and time to roll forward then roll back. Something *definitely* broke with USB after 17.0.1 and it has not yet been fixed.

2. TomF11

TomF11 Bit poster

385847123 - technical report. Same issue with USB (Speechmike air) via USB and 17.1.1. Frustrating!

3. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please help us with your support ticket number.

4. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please help us with your support ticket number. If you haven't created any support ticket please follow https://kb.parallels.com/6571 and create one. Add your technical report ID on it and help us with the support ticket number.

5. KavehV

KavehV Member

Not all of us can file a support ticket number, some of us are using this in enterprise settings where Parallels asks you to contact a system admin instead when you follow the instructions you posted.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Even worse when you post the report number and ignoring that (despite quoting it), they respond by asking for a report number.

7. Tim26

Tim26 Bit poster

I too am still unable to connect USB devices (Android devices) to a Windows 11 VM in both 17.1.0 and 17.1.1.
    Downgrading to 17.0.1 using the link: https://download.parallels.com/desk...315.92570515.1634809561-1903624072.1632665082 remedies the issue. When installing this version, it will immediately present you with the option to update to 17.1.1, so make sure to NOT update. Instead hit the red exit dot on the update window, then you will need to confirm you want to use the earlier version 17.0.1 .

I have observed this USB connection problem on two separate host machines:
    - MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), Intel Core i7, macOS Big Sur (11.6)
    - MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, macOS Monterey (12.0.1)

Obviously, some change in Parallels was made from 17.0.1 to 17.1.0 that has caused an issue for USB devices. This issue still persists in the latest version as of this writing, 17.1.1 . In my experience, my Android USB devices rarely show up as devices in the "Devices" menu, and when they do, they only remain there for a very short time. Never once am I able to access the USB device within the Windows VM regardless of the status of the "Devices" menu.

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, incase you are not able to create a ticket, kindly help us with your registered email address in private message so that we can do the needful.

9. DanielT30

DanielT30 Bit poster

Is something happen here to fix the bug so we can update our software?

10. AdahAbigail2_

AdahAbigail2_ Bit poster

I am also having USB issues with 17.1. Running W11. My Phillips SpeechMike, which is a speech recognition microphone that I use for Dragon Naturally Speaking, will not work. It is recognized by the Mac, used to work in Parallels immediately prior to upgrade to 17.1 (from 17.0.1), but now wont connect. In USB devices in Parallels menu, the hardware shows up, and is checked (to be used with VM, rather than host Mac). However, the Phillips SpeechMike software (Phillips Device Control Center) does not see the microphone and therefore I cannot dictate with the microphone. Interestingly, Dragon does recognize the Mac's built-in microphone and I CAN dictate that way. However, the Phillips microphone is much more accurate.

11. Tim26

Tim26 Bit poster

With the release of Parallels version 17.1.2 (51548), I am still unable to connect my USB devices (Android devices) to a Windows 11 VM. This is extremely frustrating.
    This USB device connection issue does not exist in Parallels version 17.0.1. The issue was introduced in 17.1.0 and has persisted since.
    Obviously, there was some change to how USB devices work in version 17.1.0 that still needs to be fixed or reverted.

Although I have made an earlier post in this thread detailing the issue. Here is a more thorough explanation.

Detailed Issue Description
    When connecting a USB device (Android) to my MacBook, the Android device is spammed with file system access requests. Instead of one file system access request producing a single dialog on my Android device, Parallels is repeatedly requesting access. This makes the file access request dialog on my Android device disappear and reappear repeatedly. If I time my selection right, I am able to hit "allow" on my android device to allow Parallels access to the USB device. After this, Parallels will then spam my host system, MacOS, with the Parallels USB device assignment dialog. (This is the dialog that allows you choose if the USB device should be connected to your host operating system or the VM OS.) This dialog appears and disappears randomly and at a very fast pace so it is very difficult to select the button you want. But, if I time my mouse click properly, I am able to select the button that assigns my USB device to the Windows 11 VM. But even after this, the device does not appear in the Parallels "Devices" menu in the menu bar, and my Android device does not become connected in any form to the Windows 11 VM.

In version 17.0.1, none of these issues appear. There is no spamming of request dialogs and USB devices are easily connected to the Windows 11 VM.

Specifications

• VM Type: Windows 11
    • Host systems where USB connection issue has been observed:
      • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), Intel Core i7, macOS Big Sur (11.6)
      • MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, macOS Monterey (12.0.1 and 12.2.1)
    • USB Devices attempting to connect:
      • Meta/Oculus Quest 1 VR Headset (Android device)
      • Meta/Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset (Android device)

Temporary Fix
    The only fix I have found is to downgrade to 17.0.1.
    You can access this version from the link: https://download.parallels.com/desk...315.92570515.1634809561-1903624072.1632665082
    NOTE: The installation is a bit tricky. When installing this version, it will immediately present you with the option to update to 17.1.1, so make sure to NOT click update. Instead click the red exit dot on the update window, then you will need to confirm you want to use the earlier version instead of updating.

HC_3 likes this.
  12. DanielT30

DanielT30 Bit poster

Still not working with 17.1.2 (51548) on MacOS 12.3 Intel Core i7 2018 and Windows 11: Android devices (Google Pixel 3XL) for debugging oder file transfer still not working.

13. EdgarW3

EdgarW3 Bit poster

Same here, since the update to Parallels 17 I'm not able to connect to a USB device any longer.
    Wasted hours with reinstalling the drivers, reconnecting, restarting, ...
    Installing old Windows backups, nothing helps. I'm certain the 17 update broke legacy USB connectivity.
    I will have to trash a hardwar device, if you are unwilling to fix this.

14. RobinS19

RobinS19 Bit poster

This is ridiculous. Did you uninstall Parallels altogether and reinstall to get to 17.0.1?

15. UweR7

UweR7 Bit poster

Recently tested 17.1.4. There are still USB issues. 17.0.1 recognizes my Samsung/Android phone on any guest OS, 17.1.4 does not. Running Monterey 12.4 on a MBP M1 Max. Reverted back to 17.0.1. Sadly enough, Parallels don't seem to be interested to fix this (same bug in 17.1.0 - 17.1.4).
    Furthermore, running Parallels Desktop severely impact the performance on my Outlook email client. Switching between emails in the inbox takes 2-3 seconds after e.g. running Windows 11. The only fix I found so far is rebooting the system.
    Started to play with VMWare Fusion Tech Preview on M1 though...

JoachimV likes this.
  16. EdgarW3

EdgarW3 Bit poster

Since the latest update, I'm able to -- sometimes -- connect to the device again.
    But it takes a lot of effort. Sending data to the device => getting an error* => restarting windows => after restart, sometimes the device receives the data.
    * "Can not connect to the USB device" => more information: the device might be connected to your Mac"
    If this is the case, I have a few goes, before the device might disappear again.
    Anyhow, I guess I'm up for an upgrade of this plotter.

17. AlexanderK40

AlexanderK40 Bit poster

I've got a bit different story. Installed latest version - USB sticks are working, but another device (Haltech engine control unit) is not. Doesn't even appear in device manager.
    Downgraded to 17.0.1 - device installed in windows, appeared in device manager, but doesn't work. It is unable to transfer any data to it's software.

18. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

I have been beta testing Version 18. It was just released today, so I suspect I can now discuss. My USB problems went away on intel and M1 Macs with PD 18. I would have like to have posted sooner, but I am sure there is an NDA that I signed during the beta process.

HC_3 likes this.
  19. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

that sounds very good. thanks for your post, @Jon Donshik!

can you tell me if pd 18 runs with a MacBook Pro 2019 Intel and a VM with Windows 10?

20. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

I am not certain. You can check the requirements page at parallels. However, my understanding is that Intel will run W10.