Can't Connect to Application server - "cannot create fi

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by rccg94, Jan 31, 2007.

1. rccg94

rccg94 Guest

I have a Windows 2000 SP4 App Server (4.2 build 161) and my clients cannot connect to it for published apps. The thin client returns error that no published apps are available. I can connect to the server via regular RDP client. I turned on logging for the AppServer and this is the error that I get:

[W] Wed Jan 31 16:56:50 2007 - Logon attemt for user 'train2'[W] Wed Jan 31 16:56:50 2007 - Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Any thoughts??!

2. nixu

nixu Guest

It seams you have some authentication misconfiguration. Try to set authentication to "all trusted domains".

Nixu

3. rccg94

rccg94 Guest

Still an issue

I have another app sever in the same domain that is set up the exact same way (although it is a Win2K3 server instead of W2K). The client side indicates that there are no published apps available. I have tried making the test user a domain admin and I still get the app server log error below:

Logon attemt for user 'test1'[W] Thu Feb 01 10:41:03 2007 - Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Do you know what file it is referring to?

4. nixu

nixu Guest

The error you should be concered about is the "Logon attemt for user 'test1'". This means that the user cannot be authenticated.

The cannot create file issue can be ignored (fixed in the next release).

What build are your running (client and server)

Nixu

5. rccg94

rccg94 Guest

Thin Client version r2485 (PXE booting from from THinClient server v4_release-r2379 ).

Application server 4.2 build 161

Also, it only seems to affect the thin client as the same domain user account (test1) can log on directly to the Application server via the standard Microsoft RDP client.

6. nixu

nixu Guest

Make sure you do not have any filtering on the published applications.

Insall the windows client and check if you see the an applications.

Nixu

7. rccg94

rccg94 Guest

Resolved

I found that the issue was that the "Always require user credentials for application list" checkbox on the Connection Settings/Publishing Agent tab was enabled. I unchecked it and was able to connect with no errors. I'm glad it works but why would it prevent connections to the app server if a valid domain account was used to log in to the thin client?

I re-enabled the check box and sure enough, accounts could not log on again. I did some additional troublshooting and the issue appears to be that when the "Always require user credentials" box is checked, only accounts with passwords can reach the app server. I created two identical domain accounts and the one with a password connected while the one with no password got the error. The fat client connects to the same server with or without a password.

8. nixu

nixu Guest

If user do not pass their password then they cannot be autenticated, that is why you had to disable "Always require user credentials".

Nixu