Can't copy / backup .PVM or .HDD - Error

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by krisK, Aug 10, 2009.

1. krisK

krisK Bit poster

Hi,

I am trying to copy the .pvm package to an external drive. The size of the .pvm is 38gb and the copy always fails (Mac OS error -36, could not read some data) exactly at 19.86gb. I've tried other external drives as well as simply copying the file and pasting it on my desktop i.e. copying it to the very same Macintosh HD.

I have been archiving .pvm since version 3 and never had a problem before.

Any help or hints greatly appreciated.

kris

2. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Please check the permissions provided on the virtual machine before copying it to the external harddisk. You can follow the article given below in order to see how permissions are set for a vm.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4721

If you are still unable to copy it then please perform disk repair permissions on the Mac then try copying.

Thank You.
    _________
    Anupama
    Parallels Team

3. krisK

krisK Bit poster

Hi,

I've repaired permissions and disk reports OK. Same problem is still occuring. The message says that "unable to copy windows.pvm because file cannot be read (error -36)."

There might be another problem ... a bad sector on the HD. I am checking that now.

Thanks,
    Kris

4. krisK

krisK Bit poster

It turns out that the HD is faulty (seagate 500gb 7200.4) and is about to fail.
    Thanks anyway.
    Kris

5. Anupama A

Anupama A Pro

Hello,

Could you please clarify whether the External hard disk is corrupted or the Mac HD.

6. MateusM

MateusM Bit poster

Error wile copy pvm file

i have the same problem. Can you help me? i try copy a pvm file to another MAC and the same error happen. i'am trying copy a pvm from parallels 7 with 111GB. the error is 36.
    please help me i real need copy this PVM file.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013