Can't create OSX 10.11.1 boot disk with Parallels 11.1.1, OSX 10.10.5 host

StevenC1

Bit poster
I'm running an OS X 10.10.5 host with Parallels 11.1.1 freshly bought and installed. When I attempt to create an OS X virtual machine, Parallels creates a bootable OSX .dmg soft disk. Several times when I tried, Parallels complained that the disk it created wasn't bootable. I deleted and re-downloaded /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app, and now Parallels no longer complains about the .dmg file it creates. However the VM can't boot from it. The bootloader doesn't recognize it as bootable. (I'm not 100% certain the re-download of Install OS X El Capitan.app coincided with the minor change in behavior.)
I also tried running /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia directly several times, and it failed as well.
Should i try using a USB stick instead of creating a .dmg file? (Oddly, I don't have one handy.) Should I create a partition on my disk and point createinstallmedia at that? Should I upgrade the host to 10.11.1 first? All of these strike me as unlikely to make a difference. Any other ideas?
 
It's working now.
The problem was an operator malfunction. The VM boot order is set such that it attempted a network boot before booting from the installation disk - which to my surprise is set up as a hard disk, not a CD. When the VM declared the CD device unbootable and went into PXE boot, I gave up and quit.
 
Try installing the virtual machine of Yosemite, try upgrading it to to Elcapitan and then performing the same and let us know how it goes.
 
Back
Top