Can't Enlarge Virtual Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by JamesC36, Oct 13, 2019.

1. JamesC36

JamesC36 Bit Poster

I'm attempting to set up a Mac guest, running Catalina on the host and Parallels Desktop 15. I've been able to get a working VM with El Capitan running, but I can't find a way to set or control the disk size.

I've got nearly 200 GB actually available on my hard disk. I tried setting the Expanding Disk 128 GB. When I ran Migration Assistant, but I got a message that my space was -20 GB short, so the migration couldn't take place. I set the Expanding Disk to 168 GB and got the identical result. It was still -20GB short; and again at 180 GB. On the virtual machine, About This Mac > Storage, always shows 67.49 GB of disk space although a large amount of Flash Storage is shown as available.

I unchecked Expanding Disk and set the disk space to 160GB. The progress bar showed it get set up and Parallels was shown as using a huge percentage of my hard disk. The virtual machine still shows 67.49 GB.

I'm back to trying the Expanding option.

FWIW, whenever I adjust the disk space, I do have the virtual machine shut down.

How do I get it to actually allow me to use more than the 67.49 GB?

Attached Files:

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Kilo Poster

I'm seeing the same issue.
    Just trying to create a new VM from a backup drive. Set the drive size to 1800GB, and yet it shows just 66GB in the drive. Try to restore to it, and it fails
    because of lack of space. I'm wondering if this is new issue with the latest releases, since I don't remember having this as a problem when doing installs before.

3. JamesC36

JamesC36 Bit Poster

Are these forums monitored by anyone from Parallels? I'd love to resolve this issue as I evaluate whether or not to license Parallels for myself - and possibly for several clients. I've been stalled for day without an answer. - as I assume RogerH6 is too. If I'm stuck with a small hard drive allocation, the product is useless.

4. RogerH6

RogerH6 Kilo Poster

I've now reported this to parallels, after trying a few more times, and upgrading to 15.1. Still giving the same issue.
    I'm sure it worked OK, last time I did a similar operation. Looks as if something has got broken in the latest 'upgrade'....

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Kilo Poster

OK. It looks as if the issue was specific to 15.0.0.0. I tried again 'from scratch' with the 15.1 version and this seems to be working.

6. JamesC36

JamesC36 Bit Poster

Thanks for sharing that. I was able to install 15.1 and complete the installations that had been held up. You've done more to sell Parallels licenses than they have for sure.

7. RogerH6

RogerH6 Kilo Poster

Don't get me wrong, but that is the 'power' of forums.
    I had been having, a "wall, head, impact technology testing" session with this, thinking I must be doing something wrong, and seeing somebody else having the same issue, helped massively. :)
    I then decided to take the time, clean up the residue of the problem session, and try again, and there was a 'cheer' when it then did work...
    Glad you have managed to get it going as well. :)

8. K.M1

K.M1 Bit Poster

Cool. So how exactly did you do it???