Can't import VirtualBox vm into Parallels 15

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rvmeush, Aug 21, 2019.

1. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

I have a virtualbox vm in .vbox format that I am trying to import into Parallels 15 without success.
    Parallels starts to import the .vbox file but then I get an error message saying prl_error_cant_convert_other_vendor_vm.
    I'm not sure what to do at this point since there are instructions from Parallels indicating that virtualbox vm's are supported.
    I don't know if this would make any difference, but when I set up the virtualbox vm I selected Parallels HD format.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

Yes, I followed the instructions mentioned with the following exceptions. 1- the Virtualbox vm I was using was a Mac OSX. 2 - I had never installed any Guest Additions, so there was nothing to remove. I searched throughout the Mac OS guest file system to see if there were any other VirtualBox related files to remove, but I didn't see anything.
    When the .vbox file was opened by Parallels the Converting screen was displayed for a short while, but ultimately I got the Parallels error message saying saying prl_error_cant_convert_other_vendor_vm.
    Are there any other things to try to see why the .vbox vm isn't being converted?

3. Could you reproduce the issue and right after the warning "prl_error_cant_convert_other_vendor_vm" appeared generate the tech report please?
    Reply us back with the report's ID for the further issue investigation.

4. rvmeush

rvmeush Member

I did some further investigating and think I may have resolved the problem. I had created a dummy Virtualbox vm and I used the .hdd disk format since it was described as being compatible with Parallels. When I tried to open the Virtualbox .vbox file I got an error message from Parallels. Then I created another Virtualbox vm but this time I used the default .vdi disk format. When I tried to open the Virtualbox vm with Parallels, this .vbox file was imported and converted properly. So, it seems as if the Parallels import function depends on the format used for the Virtualbox vm.

At this point I think I have resolved the issue I was having.

Thank you for following up.

Maria@Parallels likes this.