Can't increase VM disk size in El Capitan 10.11.1 (Parallels 11.1.0)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by NeilR1, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We request you to share us a screenshot of the VM configuration for the hard disk.

2. mr.macintosh

mr.macintosh Bit poster

Dear all Parallels-Users experiencing the same issue as I do:

Resizing an OS X 10.11.X El Capitan virtual machine's hard disk size does not reflect within the guest system itself. I. e. El Capitan within Parallels still shows a disk size of round about 30G, whatsoever. I just found a solution to this issue and I hope to reach any of the other customers who might have given up on this given the fact this forum post is older than two years and Parallels Support clearly has failed to understand this:
    (the following steps are all to be performed within the virtual machine, i. e. Parallels, not on your host system)
    Open Terminal within the guest system and type

diskutil list
    you will most likely see some reference to a CoreStorage volume such as
    Logical Volume on disk0s2
    Next, type
    diskutil cs list

Copy the last UUID starting with UUID and paste that in a new command as follows (without the brackets)
    diskutil cs revert (UUID)

Reboot. Now your virtual machine is no longer within a disk image within a CoreStorage layout but shows the exact volume size reflects what was set within Parallels' configuration settings.

3. budsimrin

budsimrin Member

Thank you mr. macintosh. However, this did not work for me. Perhaps you have a further idea? Here is what happened for me. I increased El Capitan disk size from 128GB to 256GB. Then I had the problems everyone has reported with Disk Utility. I opened Terminal in the El Capitan virtual machine When I typed diskutil list, there was no reference to CoreStorage. Rather, there were 4 items. #0 GUID_partititon_scheme 275 GB, #1 EFI 210MB, #2Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 68GB, and #3 Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650 MB. Typing diskutil cs list returned "No CoreStoreage logical volume groups found".

4. budsimrin

budsimrin Member

To Ajith@Parallels. To respond to Ajith's post from 3 years ago, I am uploading 4 images from Disk Utility. I should caveat that I had ZERO available disk space, and every time I created some by deleting files, my MacintoshHD immediately shrunk in size so I was effectively unable to create ANY free disk space. Just in order to make these screenshots I was forced to shut down El Capitan, then change the hard drive to "non-expanding" (I think that was the checkbox). That took 2 hours. After I rebooted, my freed-up space was available. So these screen shots are based on having changed to "non-expanding" but they look the same as before as best as I can recall.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 4.40.49 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 4.41.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 4.42.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 4.41.35 PM.png

5. budsimrin

budsimrin Member

The above files are Disk Utility. Here is El Capitan Hard Disk Configuration. Hard Disk Configuration 1.png Hard Disk Configuration 2.png

6. Ken Cunningham

Ken Cunningham Member

I can't tell from the above if you solved your problem or not, but I also ran into this issue and found a workaround.

In Parallels, in the VM configuration screen, add another hard drive -- I picked a big expanding drive this time, 512GB (should have done that the first time, in retrospect). Then boot up the VM, and use a cloning software tool -- I like Carbon Copy Cloner -- to clone your original hard drive to the new larger one. That took not terribly long, and went successfully.

There is a trial period available on CCC to let you try this out. I will note I had to install CCC onto the VM's HD and I also unmounted the shared volumes before cloning -- the first time I tried this, CCC didn't like being run from a network share and didn't like to see the shared files volume in Parallels VM, and came up with an error about not being able to write files to see if it was a case-sensitive file system.

Then I shut down the VM, and in Parallels VM configure screen again, removed the original hard drive (I didn't delete the files at this point, just in case), and I set the new larger hard drive to to have the location SATA:0:1 like the old one had.

Then started up the VM, and all was as it should be -- the new hard drive, which is a clone of the old hard drive, now had 512GB of total space, of which a small amount was used (the old HD was 64GB, and was pretty much full). And now it looks like all is well.

After a while goes by, if there are no visible problems, I will delete the original HD file to reclaim my 64GB.

I hope this helps someone.