Can't install MacOS as a guest on M1 MacMini

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BC8, Nov 3, 2021.

1. BC8

BC8 Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running MacOS BigSur and I've been trying to install BigSur as a guest on my M1 MacMini, but I've been receiving the following error: "The specified image cannot be used because your Mac is equipped with the Apple M1 chip that doesn't support Intel-based operating systems." According to this document: Link ,using BigSur as a guest is not compatible with Parallels 17. Trying to install MacOS Monterey as a guest however gives me the same error. I also tried creating a VM without the OS in hopes I could attach the ISO after, but the CD/DVD option inside the hardware settings is missing. Additionally, and perhaps unrelated, I don't have an option to install MacOS from the recovery partition as the images in the documentation suggest. See screenshot: Link. I have tried reinstalling parallels and it's still missing. I do have a recovery partition as you can see here: Link. In case it's relevant, I've downloaded all OS versions via terminal.

System:
    M1 MacMini
    BigSur 11.6.1
    Parallels 17 (Pro Edition)
    Parallel tools are installed.

I've had a support ticket open since the Oct 31st and I called support this AM for the same but they were not able to help. They just sent the system requirements and suggested I upgrade my host to Monterey, which I don't yet want to do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brad