Can't launch Parallels on My Mac from VPM file on external Drive after Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ThomasM21, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ThomasM21

ThomasM21 Bit poster

Previously, I had my Parallels 10 on my HHD on my 2011 MacBook Pro. I upgraded to SSD in my Mac and after I restored my Mac on the SSD from time machine the VPM would not work. So, hoping to avoid the same problem in the future after a Time Machine Backup, I installed Parallels on an external drive. Every time I need Parallels I connect the external drive. Now, I had a software problem on my OS High Sierra. I backed up with Time Machine and then did a clean install of High Sierra onto my Mac SSD. That solved that software problem. However, when I try to launch Parallels after attaching the external drive, a drop down appears with the following: Parallels Desktop Cannot Be Started. Please Reinstall Parallels Desktop and Try Again. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistance. Problem ID:15431. Needless to say, my solution failed I don't want to reinstall the program again. Won't this mean IO lose all my prior installed applications and data files in Windows in Parallels? Any suggestions greatly appreciated for my problem now and for avoiding this restoration problem after using Time Machine. Thanks

2. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi ThomasM21, it seems the issue is with the macOS. You have installed High Sierra again but after restoring from Time machine you are facing issues. We suggest you reinstall High Sierra and install Parallels Desktop. Installing or reinstalling Parallels Desktop will not remove the Windows Guest OS and its applications from the PVM file. After installing Parallels Desktop you can restore the PVM file alone and check. Also, Parallels Desktop 10 is not compatible with High Sierra and you can install Parallels Desktop 13 trial then check. If you are satisfied then you can purchase a new license.

3. ThomasM21

ThomasM21 Bit poster

Just a few clarifications. My system for running Windows that I decided on (when Windows would not run after both Parallels and the PVM file were restored onto my Startup Internal Disc from Migration Assistant and Time Machine) was to place the PVM file on an external drive and Parallels on my SSD OS startup disc on my Mac.
    Now, with a software problem (a lagging cursor on my trackpad and jumpy GUI) I did a clean install of High Sierra. Then I used Apple's Migration Assistant and my latest Time Machine Backup of my entire computer, to move everything (including Parallels 10) back onto my Mac startup disc. I essentially was treating my Mac as if I was migrating my Mac onto a new Mac. Note, prior to my software problem on my Mac, Windows was running fine with Parallels 10 on the Startup disc and the PVM file on the external Drive.
    If I understand you properly, my PVM file with my Windows apps and files, which apparently was never accessed after my Mac restoration, is still intact on my external drive (I don't need to "restore" it, just connect to my Mac) and I should reinstall Parallels 10 (preferably Parallels 13)?. I am thinking I should just go right to Parallels 13 since maybe reinstalling Parallels 10 will just give the same problem.

4. ThomasM21

ThomasM21 Bit poster

@Ajith Hi... you can see my reply to you in the thread....but thanks.... I went straight to just installing the Parallels 13 trial and my Windows 7 launches from my external drive as before my clean Time Machine backup, clean High Sierra install and the Mac restoration. Thanks for your help!

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi @ThomasM21,
    We are glad that you are able to use the VM. Let us know if you need further assistance.