Can't open Windows 10 - stuck on spinning device

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by tblack, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

As I know, one of our engineers sent you an email with details for the further issue investigation.
    Could you please reply on it.

2. ChrisW30

ChrisW30 Bit Poster

I had this issue today and after the process read all 256GB of my MBP while stuck on the loop, I closed out all the processes associated with it and restarted MacOS. Once restarted, I disconnected my computer from the internet and booted up the Windows 10 VM. Everything fired right up. The posts about Windows and Parallels both reaching out for updates made me think to do this. Your mileage may very but, it worked for me and I hope it works for others until it is properly fixed.

3. DanielA17

DanielA17 Bit Poster

Same Here: Stuck on spinning wheel after stopping Windows10 VM (diagnostics report ID 334884548. Initial problem: switching to coherence not possible, after no restart of Windows and Mac since weeks).
    Quit Parallels Desktop, Disconnected Internet. Restarting Mac, restarting Parallels Desktop: et voilĂ , VM booted seamlessly.
    To polish things, I manually updated Windows 10 and Mac OS. - HTH!

4. DanielA17

DanielA17 Bit Poster

BTW: There was a hefty Windows update pending, which required a restart. Maybe this update did block the vm restart... (2020-03: Windows Version 1903 for x64-based Systems, KB4540673)

5. PatrickP3

PatrickP3 Bit Poster

Hi Guys thought I would post here with my findings. I have had parallels on macOS Sierra, Mojave & Now Catalina.
    Parelles was never the speediest but it worked. In the last month whilst on Mojave it got really bad and I had the same issues as everyone else. This is why I updated to Catalina. This still didn't correct the issue. As I use this for work I was desperate to get things working so I backed up all my documents etc (I also have a time machine drive connected) then I completely wiped the iMac as if it was a new machine and re-installed Catalina. Everything is so fast now. I just timed it and windows 10 takes 15 seconds to open up. It's only been about a week but every thing is working great. To be honest everything on my machine had got a bit sluggish over the years. I just think after a certain amount of time we collect allot of crap on our machines and they need a good clean.

All the best
    Patrick

6. Chinedu

Chinedu Bit Poster

I got the solution, follow these steps:

1. On your parallel top panel click on Action
    2. on Action click on reset and stop the reset immediately by clicking on any button.
    3. You Windows 10 is back!!!!! just that

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. PatrickP3

PatrickP3 Bit Poster

Tried the reset button. didn't work for me. Also everything is much faster since re boot of system.

8. Maria@Parallels

Maria@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys, please try to switch to Apple Hypervisor (In the configuration panel > Hardware > CPU & Memory > Advanced Settings) and run your virtual machine.
    and share any results with us

9. RichardT16

RichardT16 Bit Poster

1) Generated tech report 336011783 while Win 10 VM spinning/hung at VM startup (took about 20 mins to generate report).
    2) Mac hung, so forced reboot of Mac.
    3) Parallels itself hung while starting Parallels (before starting VM) and then Mac became non-responsive.
    4) Forced another Mac reboot. Then rebooted several times normally.
    5) Ran Disk First Aid
    6) Rebooted Mac again.
    7) Switched to Apple Hypervisor per Maria instructions.
    8) Started Win 10 VM, which again hung with same spinning circle.
    9) While Win 10 VM hung/spinning, generated new tech report 336016887 (again took about 20 minutes to generate)