Can't paste to Word 2004 or Filemaker 8.5 from Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by blakeh, Aug 20, 2006.

1. blakeh

blakeh Bit poster

We have a client who's been using VPC on a dozen laptops to do work, traveling around the country.

They cut text from programs in windows into Word 2004 and Filemaker Pro on mac.

We decided to try one test of a macbook pro with Parallels to see if this would be a viable upgrade path.

Using the current stable parallels, we can't paste from Parallels (winxp pro) to Word 2004 or Filemaker. We tried upgrading to the beta, no change. Verified that the text is showing in the clipboard sync under parallels tools. Paste is greyed out in Word and FMP and command-v does nothing.

Tried updating to the latest Filemaker 8.5 (UB) and still no success. Can paste into Pages and Text Edit, as others here in the forum have noted.

Can also paste from Word 2004 into Parallels.

Would like some acknowledgement from Parallels that they're aware and working on this?

bh

2. ercross

ercross Bit poster

Problem still exist in RC 1884

This is a real pain as the reason that I bought Parallels to run a program from which I need to do frequent pastes into Word for Mac. To have to paste it into a different app and recopy it to be able to bring it into Word is just not going to work.

3. Stark

Stark Bit poster

Parallels to TextEdit to Word is the only workaround I know of. That or install office 2k3 in windows (which actually performs a lot better than the non-universal mac version).

This has been an issue since the original beta of parallels for mac and there has been no official comment from anyone at the company.

My guess is that MS has it's own clipboard function running in O2k4 that screws something up... that or rosetta emulation.

4. ercross

ercross Bit poster

Temporary Clipboard Solution

Not being able to paste to Word or FileMaker is a real pain. I do not know how soon we will see a fix from Parallels, but I have found a workaround that is fairly simple.

A little program called iClip. Download the trial and give it a try.
    http://inventive.us/iClip/

It has what looks almost like a small filmstrip showing clips that you can dock on any side of your screen. You can choose how many clips it shows down to one which is always the last thing copied. When you copy from Apps in Windows it is automatically added to the top or left most space. You simply drag & drop the clip into Word.

This may at least allow you to be a little more productive until a fix is found.

5. zfirst

zfirst Bit poster

Pate to Word bug fixed in PD build 3036!

Just upgraded to the latest Parallels beta (3036), and I can now paste from the VM into Mac Word 2004 without a hitch. This was a huge annoyance - thanks to the Parallels team for finally getting it fixed!

6. blakeh

blakeh Bit poster

We found that upgrading to the 1970 build fixed this issue for us.

bh