Can't ping from Mac to VM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jdmuys, Feb 1, 2007.

1. jdmuys

jdmuys Bit poster

I want to set up a nomad configuration to demonstrate a client/server configuration. I can't manage to make it work, and researching it lead to mostly total confusion about networking with Parallels Desktop. Please note that I am currently running build 3120 that I installed from scratch on a clean install of MacOS X 10.4.8.

So, I want to set up Parallels Desktop with:

1- A virtual machine set up as the server. It should have a fixed IP (DHCP is strongly discouraged)
    2- A virtual machine set up as a client. It would be better if it could have a fixed IP (DHCP is mildly discouraged)
    3- The Mac OS side (host) of course, which would act as a second client

At this point in time, I cannot ping a Virtual Machine from either the Mac OS side, nor from another virtual machine. I can access the internet through a VM just fine, though, and I can most of the time Ping the Mac OS side from a VM, just not the other way around.

Here is my test setup. For the moment, the Mac is connected to the internet through a NAT box which acts as a DHCP server. Eventually, I will want to run the setup completely away from any actual internet connection.

A- Mac Setup:
    A.1- Built-in Ethernet (en0): DHCP, its IP is currently 192.168.0.6
    A.2- Ethernet Adaptor (en2): DHCP, its IP is currently 10.37.129.2
    A.3- Ethernet Adaptor (en3): DHCP, its IP is currently 10.211.55.2

Judging from the network pane of the Parallels preferences, en2 is used for host-only networking, and en3 is used for shared networking. Their respective DHCP scope ranges from .1 to .254 (class C). But these interfaces are named as written above, and not "Parallels Host-Guest" and "Parallels NAT" as mentionned in the documentation.

Note that the internet sharing system panel is off. Also, I can ping all three of those addresses from MacOS X terminal.

B- VM (Windows XP) with shared networking: internet access works OK
    Using a command prompt, and the ipconfig command, its IP address is 10.211.55.3
    ping 10.211.55.3 from the VM works fine.
    Additionally, from the VM, I can ping any the Mac IP addresses listed above in A.

However, I cannot ping the VM address (10.211.55.3) from the MacOS X terminal. It hangs, which means there is no answer to the ping. Same misbehavior from the Network Utility.

Why? Is this normal? shouldn't I be able to ping the VM guest OS from the host?

C- VM (Windows XP) with host-only networking: internet access does not work
    Using a command prompt, and the ipconfig command, its IP address is 10.37.129.3
    ping 10.211.55.3 from the VM works fine.
    Additionally, from the VM, I can ping the related Mac IP address listed above in A (10.37.129.2).

Ping to either of the two other IP addresses listed for the host in A (192.168.0.6 or 10.211.55.2) fail with a "Destination host unreachable" error.

However, I cannot ping the VM address (10.37.129.3) from the MacOS X terminal. It hangs, which means there is no answer to the ping. Same misbehavior from the Network Utility.

Also, what is the difference between these two networking styles? It seems to me the only difference is that Shared Networking is routed to the other network adapters, while host-only is not.

D- VM (Windows XP) with bridged networking: internet access works OK
    Using a command prompt, and the ipconfig command, its IP address is 192.168.0.206 (allocated by the external DHCP/NAT box).
    ping 192.168.0.206 from the VM works fine.
    Additionally, from the VM, I can ping the related Mac IP address listed above in A (192.168.0.6).

Ping to either of the two other IP addresses listed for the host in A (10.37.129.2 or 10.211.55.2) fail with a "Request timed out" error.

However, I cannot ping the VM address (192.168.0.206) from the MacOS X terminal. It hangs, which means there is no answer to the ping. Same misbehavior from the Network Utility.

Why is the error message from ping different this time?
    How come I can ping from the VM to the Mac related address, but not in the other direction?
    Which networking mode will allow me to set up the guest OS with a fixed IP?

I am lost. Please help. I tried to search through the forum, but could not find any really useful information.

Thanks a million,

Jean-Denis

2. CarlW6

CarlW6 Bit poster