Can't resize search box in explorer window

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SteveN4, Jul 12, 2016.

1. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

In the top of my Explorer windows, the search box takes up 80% of the width of the window:

Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 2.42.07 PM.png

I'd rather have a small search box and a large path box but I'm unable to resize them. I get the left/right pointing arrows when I hover over the divider but clicking a dragging have no effect. Are others having this same problem?

2. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey @SteveN4
    Have you tried reinstalling Parallels tools, (from Mac menu bar) Actions->Reinstall Parallels tools. Restart the Windows and try resizing the search box. Let us know how it works.

3. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried your suggestion but I still can't resize the search box. I made sure "Lock the toolbars" isn't checked under View -> Toolbars in the Explorer window. I'm running PD 11.2.0 (32581) under OS X 10.11.5 using Windows 7 Professional SP1.

4. Sasti@Parallels

Sasti@Parallels Parallels Support

Hey, please try installing all available Windows 7 updates. Restart and check if you can resize. Let us know how it goes.

5. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

It says there are no updates available. I just installed this Windows VM today so they might not show up right away. I'll check again tomorrow.

I found another person having the same problem. (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3339-windows-explorer-address-search-bar-change-size.html) It only happened on a high resolution monitor. I'm using a retina 27" iMac so that could apply to me. This was back in the days of the Windows 7 beta, though, so it could have been fixed since then. I'll hope an update pops up that fixes it.

6. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

I've installed all the updates that became available over the past two days but the problem persists. Do you have a retina 27" iMac you can test with?

7. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi SteveN4, Open My Computer / Explorer Window. Underneath the search bar, (on the menu bar) right click the open space next to "Help", and uncheck "Lock the toolbars". Try to resize the search bar now and check if it works.

8. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

I already made sure that wasn't checked as I said in message #3. Have you been able to test on a retina 27" iMac?

9. Rav

Rav Bit poster

Was there a solution for this issue? My VM seems to be having the exact same issue.

Thanks

10. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

No, I never heard anything from Parallels other than what you see in this thread. I guess they don't have a 27" iMac to test on.

11. Rav

Rav Bit poster

Ok found solution to this issue:
    You will need to go to Virtual Machine Preferences > Select Display > Change from 'Best for Retina' to first option available 'Scaled'

This will fix the problem. Windows 7 for some reason doesn't work well when set to best for retina.

I hope this helps

12. SteveN4

SteveN4 Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Rav. Unfortunately, that setting makes text blurry. I didn't get a 27" Retina screen to look at blurry text. I'd rather have the oversized search box.

13. Rav

Rav Bit poster

Sorry didn't work out as planned for you. But if anyone has laptop and or another monitor setup, you can certainly give it a try.

14. Blaine_DeLancey

Blaine_DeLancey Bit poster

You know, I had the same problem, switched to Scaled, which fixed it, and found that I could actually come up with a combination of fonts and resolution that seemed to work better than the 'Best of Retina' settings. I'll probably still do some more tweaking, but I'm not sure how much whatever 'Best for Retina' does is really best for my own retinas...