Can't Use Mac VMs on my Windows Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by Stefan Lisowski, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Stefan Lisowski

Stefan Lisowski Junior Member

I'm using Parallels workstation Build 6.0.13976, supposedly the latest version of Parallels available for Windows.

I moved some of my virtual machines from Parallels desktop 8 for Mac to my Windows box. They look like they should run, but they will not. I get "No boot device is available". and "There is no operating system installed in this virtual machine. Please insert an operating system installation CD..." This is with either an XP or a Windows 8 VM, running on a Windows 8 host. My winxp.hdd shows as a Plain disk, 29.3 GB, at Location: IDE 0:0.

The virtual machine runs fine on the Mac. I also am able to get a different XP VM to work on my Parallels Windows Workstation.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Stefan Lisowski

Stefan Lisowski Junior Member

Seems even though Parallels warns me to keep my external disk attached when running this VM, the VM won't actually start from the external USB drive. When I copied a W8 VM to my local disk I got System Thread Exception Not Handled and actually saw W8 trying to boot before it bluescreened... which is a step forward from "no operating system installed"