Catalina 10.15 + Parallels Desktop 15 + W10 VM = Instant Crash/Restart !?!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bootz-Pgh, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

Running most recent Catalina and Parallels software with Windows 10 VM. Went to start Windows 10 and had a kernel panic which resulted in black screen/reboot. After restart, had another kernel panic within 30 seconds, and I didn't even open Parallels. I had to go into Safe Mode, delete Parallels 15, then restart. This is the only way to keep my MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2015) from instantly crashing and restarting.

Is there really no way for me to use the VM until we get a Parallels Update? Do they offer a beta so that I can actually use the VM?

2. Eddie_C

Eddie_C Bit poster

I experienced the same problem. Some Windows 10 VMs can not start.

PD14.1.3 (45485)
    Catalina 10.15
    Windows 10 (1903)

3. Parallels Desktop 14 is not fully compatible with the macOS Catalina. Did you test the same behavior with 15 version?

4. Eddie_C

Eddie_C Bit poster

Not upgrade to 15 yet.
    Will it also solve the problem as described in KB 124760 (macOS Catalina: lost access to Mac folders in Windows, Recycle Bin is corrupted)?

5. This issue is currently under investigation. Parallels Engineering team are continually working on issues that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for a fix until one is available.

6. DaleM2

DaleM2 Bit poster

I'm using Parallels on a MacBook Pro to run Window 10. This morning I upgrade to Parallels 15 and since then persistently get an unresolvable Window black screen after logging into Windows. I'm able to get to TasK Manager from the Key Board icon on the ribbon at the top of the screen. The Task Manager list indicates that Task Manager is the only application running and that no background process or Windows processes are running. I'd welcome any help with this anyone might offer.

7. DaleM2

DaleM2 Bit poster

PS. I upgraded to Catalina before upgrading to Parallels 15.

8. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

Unfortunately in my case, even after a support call with Parallels and the most recent PD 15.1 and Catalina updates, I'm in the same boat.

9. JeffN5

JeffN5 Bit poster

same here. only reason i am on this forum is because of a major problem. Blue screen on Windows startup, Critical Process Died. absolutely NOTHING works in windows. reaffirms my hatred for windows and why i have had mac since '89. Can't access anything in windows or even start it up. all the searches bring up lots of computer lingo that makes NO sense. again, why i have a mac. click, click, and it works. any advice here? can't even take the machine anywhere because computer techs don't want to work on parallels and a mac

10. Julian1

Julian1 Junior Member

That's not really a Windows issue - it is something which was introduced with Mojave and Parallels 14.

My Machine is kind of working but takes forever to start and to shutdown. Mounting an USB drive is a pain and takes forever, so I do not mount directly anymore but use a virtual encrypted drive (Vera Crypt) as workaround. The Parallels process is running a lot, so it does not really make sense to use in on battery power....