CD-burning fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hasseogtage, Jul 6, 2007.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

There are some CD-drivers which are not compatible with Windows , like several Panasonic models (at least they confirmed that - we know for know about this only and trying to contact other manufacturers also), so Nero uses low-level calls(out of Windows API) and Parallels can translate those calls to Mac OS calls, but built in Media player does it internally through kernel

2. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I do not understand this "so Nero uses low-level calls(out of Windows API) and Parallels can translate those calls to Mac OS calls, but built in Media player does it internally through kernel"

What "low-level calls" does Nero use. Are you referring to intel assembly instructions "in" and "out"?
    How does Windows kernel talk to the device that is different?

3. John@Parallels

4. bi11

bi11 Hunter

That just tells me that the IMAP CD Service service is not used by Nero, and I agree that using Nero solves alot of issues on non virtualized systems. My confusion though still exists with your statement prior. Let me rephrase the question.

What "low-level calls" does Parallels intercept that Nero uses. Ultimately both the IMAP service and Nero are going to talk to the hardware with assembly instructions "in" and "out" How does the windows Kernel bypass Parallels while Nero does not?

5. John@Parallels

I meant Parallels cannot intercept IMAPI calls to kernel from which instructions are going lower to MB, and cpu
    as it is usually performed in ring 0
    But I suppose that Nero instructions are not going through kernel, so Parallels can intercept them

6. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I think you mean that ring 0 is where Parallels intercepts(or emulates). Usually that is where a hypervisor takes control. I can't image that all instructions at user level are intercepted.

7. Birdman

Birdman Member

Hi! Xenos,

My problem is off the topic but related to DVD burning and Nero.

I just decided to uninstall Nero from WinXP SP3 (PDM 5060) after trying several months.

The Nero still exists after proper uninstalling and still has about 600M in size which I can not deleted.

Then, I decide to delete from Mac OSX (10.5.4) side while mounting the C: Drive with PDM not running.

Now it is still sitting on the Trash of Mac OSX Desktop and I can not delete it either!

Kindly help me to fix it as it is very strange and hard to delete.

Thanks/Br,

Birdman

8. John@Parallels

SYMPTOMS

When my Windows Virtual Machine starts I constantly can see that my Mac
    OS Trash shows some deleted files, but it is empty, and Windows Recycle
    Bin is also empty
    When Windows Virtual Machine is stopped , Mac OS Trash is empty.

RESOLUTION

Please delete folder C:\.Trash in Virtual Machine.
    If you cannot see this folder please follow steps bellow
    Open My Computer-Tools -Folder Options-View tab

Select - Show hidden files and folders
    Clear - Hide protecting operating system files(Recommended)
    Click OK twice
    for now you should see that folders on C:

NOTE
    If you still cannot see it, please check that you can see boot.ini file
    and pagefile.sys, if you cannot see them also, it means that VM is
    infected, most probably this is amvo virus or variants

9. Birdman

Birdman Member

Hi! John,

Many thanks for the solution and I have deleted the unwanted file in the trash via deleting the C:\.Trash in the VM.

Wondering if there is any such FAQ/KB for us to check before asking in the forum?

TIA!

10. John@Parallels

Actually , I am preparing it

11. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Windows 2000 Backup That Works?

When I found out that the Parallels VM is just a huge file to Mac Time Machine on MAC OS 10.5.5, I tried to revert to my faithful Nero 6.0 backup software with CD's and hopefully DVD's. All burn writes failed. I upgraded to Nero 6.6 and that failed. I tried to download Nero 9 but it does not support Windows 2000. Somewhere in this thread it was said that Nero 8 works but I have not been able to find a free download to test and I am not willing to buy unless I can prove that it works.

HELP! I spend 99%+ of my time on the new iMac in the Windows 2000 VM and I am totally exposed for want of an acceptable (Nero?) operational backup strategy.

12. bi11

bi11 Hunter

I support an office that uses Parallels/XP on their Apple systems. The Parallels disks are also specifically excluded from Timemachine backups. The option employed at the site for XP backups is to use Acronis True Image and to send the backup images to a shared folder. An option is also set in True Image to split the backup images to sizes less than 4.7Gb, so they can be burned to dvd's. Afterwards the images are burned to DVD's by using built-in DVD burning abilities inherent to Leopard. Just insert a blank DVD and use finder to put the backup image(s) on the DVD, and then burn image. A little extra work, but a working solution if you need it.

13. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Bill, thank you for the suggestion. Sounds like you have a more job-related environment than I have. Mine is a home environment. My interest is primarily is selective backups of individual files that fit conveniently on one CD and/or DVD.

The Nero solution was good since I could select repeatable backups that selected the same files. I also had more infrequent backups of more stable files like pictures. Any suggestions that would address these needs would be greatly appreciated.

14. SNG123

SNG123 Bit poster

Possible Fix (despite failure messages)

Hi All,

Been having a problem getting CDs to burn in my XP guest virtual machine (Mac Pro OS X is the host system). Specifically, I've been trying to get MediaMonkey's built-in CD burning feature to work but have had problems for a long while. Unfortunately Parallels support seems to just recommend using Nero so it looked like I was out of luck.

But I tried some testing and here's what seems to work for me. Borrowing from a lead mentioned in other posts I updated to the most recent version of the software and (both Parallels & MediaMonkey) set my virtual machine settings to Connect To: IDE 1:1 (instead of 0:1) and it seems to work now (kind of).

Here's the annoying part (explaining the 'kind of'). When I finish burning my CDs, I still get an error message - Error 23A00 (aka Medium not present error). But when I test the CDs that I've burned they're actually fine - the error message seems to just be a fluke (probably seeing that the CD in the ROM is unrecordable now that it's been finalized after burning). In any event, despite the error message, the burning function in Media Monkey seems to work now to produce functional CDs (fingers crossed that the successes haven't been flukes!).

You may need to have different IDE settings in your specific config but what I'd say is to test the CDs that get made regardless of the failure message that you may see at the end of the burn process. They may actually be functional despite the apparent failure.

Here's the step-through on my settings for those who find it useful:

--In Hosting OS (in my case, Mac OS X) open the desktop admin for your guest host (in my case, Win XP Pro) - Don't start the guest OS, just open the admin for it)
    --Applications > Parallels Desktop
    --In the Parallels application menu - Edit > Virtual Machine
    --CD/DVD ROM Settings:
    --Device Status:
    Checks in "Enabled" & "Connect at Startup"
    Emulation:
    Use CD/DVD-ROM
    Connect To: IDE 1:1
    --Save your setting and give it a shot--

Good luck--
    Michael

15. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Nero 8

I finally got Nero to ship me Version 8 after 6 and 6.6 failed to backup and Nero 9 wouldn't work with my Windows 2000. Now I can backup to an 8GB flash drive which is almost acceptable.

I still cannot get Nero to back up to a CD-RW or a DVD-R. I have tried changing to IDE 1:1 and IDE 1:0 as others above seem to have succeed. Neither helps. By the way, trying to switch back to IDE 0:0 gave me a message that the hard drive was using it and it would swap .... Don't know exactly what fooling around with these IDE settings does in Parallels and or Windows 2000 that I am using.

I thought that I should try playing a music CD which I almost never do. Couldn't get that to work either. Kind of just hung winamp.

Any thoughts?

16. mmika

mmika Pro

Hi judger48193!

What version of Parallels are you using?

You do not need swap IDE position, it doesn't matter for nero.

Please set default value for DVD IDE 0:1

What error Nero reports when it can not make a backup? Please provide us a screenshot.

Only winamp hungs while it is attempting to play an audio cd? What windows media player does? Is it playing that cd?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  17. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Nero 8

Using Parallels 3.0 for Mac Build 5608.

Using winamp 5.52

Initially after long delay the winamp equilizer shows activity but no sound. When I press the Play button it sits for long time and then nothing.

Thought I would try Nero 8 and it did play the CD.

Have attached screen shot of Nero failure. Nero did eject the CD-RW after I quit even though the messages say that there is no disk present.

Previously, Nero did detect that there was some data on the CD-RW and did erase the information. That scenario wouldn't be acceptable since I used to stack up several backups on the same CD-RW.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  18. John@Parallels

Do you have antivirus on Windows side, also I recommend to create new test clean Windows machine to check is it Nero , or just corrupted Windows

19. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Don't know what happened to my last reply with attachments.

Using 3.0 build 5608. Winamp is 5.52.

Did get Nero to play audio CD.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  20. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Have McAfee Cox Security Suite in Windows 2000.