CentOS 6.3 Kernel panic

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by trnsfrmrsr, Jan 12, 2013.

1. trnsfrmrsr

trnsfrmrsr Bit poster

I just purchased workstation to get a few linux guests up and running. However when i try to install CentOS i'm getting a kernel panic right the installer kicks off (well literally right have the Grub Menu).

Anyone have a smiliar issue or any suggestions on how to get this resovled?

Here's a link to am image of the message i get: http://imgur.com/yJ4Lq

Specifically the message I get is: early exception 0d rip 10:ffffffff81038879 error 0 cr2 0

I've done a bit of searching on this issue and found some similar issues for VMware stating that you could add the nosmep boot option but that doesn't work.

2. SPelly

SPelly Member

I'm having the same problem. Parallels 6.0.13976, Window 7.

3. Stefan Lisowski

Stefan Lisowski Junior Member

I'm having the same problem. Parallels Workstation 6 on Windows 8 trying to run CentOS 6.3. The virtual machine is one that I moved over from my Mac and it worked fine there. ( Is Parallels Workstation even sold anymore? I couldn't find it mentioned on the front page of the web site.) Oh, I also tried installing fresh from .iso but no luck there either.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. SPelly

SPelly Member

The problem is that Parallels Workstation 6 does not support the SMEP (supervisor mode execute prevention) bit on Intel's Ivy Bridge processors. We had to switch to VMware for our CentOS virtual machines. FWIW, Parallels Desktop 8 has the support.