Change architecture from Windows 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Rickfdez, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Rickfdez

Rickfdez Bit poster

I have an installed Windows 10 that is 32 bit that I'd like to change to 64 bit. I understand there is no "conversion" process (http://www.windowscentral.com/how-upgrade-32-bit-64-bit-version-windows-10). I used Microsoft's media creation tool to place the Windows 10 64 bit installation files on a USB drive. However, from there, I have no idea how to go forward with Parallels. I'd appreciate any help from others here on next steps.

2. Dhana@Parallels

Dhana@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Rickfdez,
    Please back up your Windows before performing the below steps process to avoid loss of data.
    * Shut down Windows 10 either from Actions ( Top menu bar ) > shut down or Windows start menu > Power > Shutdown
    * Insert your USB stick to Mac
    * Perform steps out lined at this link to install Windows using USB stick & let us know how it goes.
    Thanks.

3. Rickfdez

Rickfdez Bit poster

One more question I forgot to ask before I try this - will this process transfer my Windows digital license for Windows 10 Pro 32 bit to the new 64 bit install of the same program?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hello Rickfdez,

The steps which were provided to you will help you to create a new virtual machine with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, which can also use same activation key use in 32 bit virtual machine.

Thanks,
    Ajith M.