Change USB Device Name...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JoelCYYZ, May 17, 2020.

1. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

When I connect my iPhone 11 to my MacBook it names the device "Apple iPhone #8". I would like to change the "Apple iPhone #8" to either "Apple iPhone" (as I only own one iPhone) or "Apple iPhone 11" (the model I own).

I had hoped that I would be able to do so through Preference --> Devices but it does not allow me to change the device name.

As such, kindly explain / show me how to do this.

Thanks.

2. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

I have been corresponding with the people from Parallels on this matter and they tell me that:

Hello Joel,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Please note the device name is allocated by system default and the option cannot be changed/edited.
    By default the operating system will allocate the name we cannot change it.
    Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.

Thanks,
    --
    Raja Mohammed

I assume this to be true -- as I do not know otherwise -- but ask that this be fixed as it would be so helpful / useful to have this capability.

Parallels people on this forum, any comments / thoughts?

3. GowthamR@Parallels

GowthamR@Parallels Member

@JoelCYYZ Hi,
    We have escalated the issue you reported to the Development Team and they are working to address it in one of the future builds of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
    To enable automatic updates, from the Parallels Desktop Menu, select Preferences > General > Download Updates Automatically.
    While we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at the corresponding knowledge base article page:
    - Parallels Desktop 15 for Mac updates summary: https://kb.parallels.com/124724
    - Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac updates summary: https://kb.parallels.com/124521