Chkdsk won't run at Vista startup after upgrade to PD 4.0

tsanchai

Junior Member
I have upgraded from PD 3.o to 4.0 yesterday. There was some rough thing during step 4 of installation and when install Parallels Tools. However, I managed to get Parallels Desktop 4.0 up and running fine now.

Two problems occured and I need answer to it:

1. Right after upgrade and installation of Parallels Tools on my 32 bits Vista (Bootcamp) on MacBook Pro 10.5.5, chkdsk fail to run at startup miserably!!!! Just before upgradem it work fine. I tried all 4 methods to get it run but to no avail!!! The only way I can run Chkdsk at startup to fix Vista disk error is by using Vista Installation DVD!!! This is inconvenient to me.

What parallels do to my chkdsk? What PD 4.0 do to it. It wonjt run now!

3. Many files of Parallels Tools 3.0 are left in my c:\Program FIles\paralles folder. Parallels Tools still in Startup folder. Can any friend here or support tell how to get rid of all these 3.0 files in the folders? I have disable the startup of Parallels Tools 3.0 and everyhting still work fine. What are PD 3.0 files in c:\Program FIles\Parallels folders that I can remove? Can any friend advise me?

I have to admit that upgrading Parallels Desktop is a very rough experience almost everytime. Can tou do it better than this?

Regards
Sanchai Thiewprasertkul
Bangkok, Thailand
 
Am I the only one that have got this problem that Chkdsk refuse to run at startup of Windows Vista right after upgrading Parallels Tools? Chkdsk work fine before the upgrade. I have tested that. And Parallels Tools 4.0 is the only single software I installed from the VM to Windows Vista Bootcamp partition. After the upgrade, whenever I set Chkdsk to run at startup, it simply won't run, and just bypassing to normal Windows startup!!

Heklp please. I want my Chkdsk functionaly back!!!
 
Same thing for me. It doesn't work. I am using a Boot Camp partition. I tried running chkdsk in Boot Camp as well as in Parallels.

Adam
 
Last edited:
Well, anymore firends have the same issue? Nice to get advice on how to get Chkdsk at startup to work in Bootcamp boot up!
 
Have done all the following suggestions but none of them work to get Chkdsk at startup work as it should be

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

The only way to run Chkdsk at startup to fix NTFS disk error (this is essential when you want to make backup of your WIndows NTFS partition for later restore with WinClone. Disk must be free of error or Winclone won't run) is to boot from Windows Vista DVD and run CHKdsk from command prompt Recovery console
 
I have restore Windows ista again (another time) from my backup, amke sure that chkdsk at startup work, then install Parallels Tools. After completed and jet Parallels 4.0 to work (of course, a lot of hiccups during the process), Parallels ditched out the chkdsk process at startup. It no longer work!

The culprit is this d*mn Parallels Desktop 4.0!!!

Any idea to get my chkdsk at startup to work again?
 
Are you having any other issues? Windows showing as not activated or not being able to open the control panels? I have these two issues and it says that I need to run chkdisk at startup and when I set it to do it, it never does. So the two could be related.
 
No, that's the only problem I have. The activation of Windows is fine. I think this two issue is completely unrelated. Chkdsk at startup is needed when your drive structure and file system have errors and need fix. I'm 100% sure that the issue of chkdsk qwon't run at startup is attributed to PD 4.0 modify or change some boot process that prevent chkdsk and autochk.exe to run when needed.

Control panel open just fine in my case but in your case it may be because of disk error that prevent it to run. You need to boot with Windows DVD and choose repair, and go to command prompt, then run chkdsk /f to get chkdsk to run. Then see whether Control Panel open. It should be OK!

Parallels need to fix this!!!! Otherwise it's a crap!!!
 
I know what chkdsk and and autochk are, what I am saying is that I have both problems (licensing service not running and causing more problems and the inability to run anything at boot time) and that they may be related since I have both issues. Maybe I just have two unrelated issues.
 
Have upgraded to the newest build today. The problem that chkdsk won't run at startup still persist. When this will be solved? Is there any Parallels tech stafff know this problem?
 
Guys,

We are aware of the problem, but can't provide you with
the fix yet. We understood the the source of this problem.

It will take us few days to prepare a hotfix for this issue -
we'll post it in KB and will have a link here in the forum.

Regards,
Max
 
I have received a notice that there will be a hotfix for this issue for a couple of weeks now. Still no solution offered. When will this issue can be fixed?
 
Now I have seen build 3810 for Parallels Desktop 4.0. Does this fix the chkdsk won't run as schedule at startup of Windows Vista 32 bit problem?
 
Back
Top