Cisco VPN in guest OS (XP) stopped working.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aberrant, Jan 16, 2007.

1. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

I was running 3036 and VPN was working fine under the XP guest OS - then suddenly it stopped. I've tried reinstalling the VPN software, and I even upgraded to RC1 - no joy. Getting

Unable to establish Phase 1 SA with server "w.x.y.z" because of "PEER_DELETE-IKE_DELETE_NO_ERROR"

Googling this phrase yields no information.

Anyone have Cisco VPN (any version) working under XP under parallels with bridged networking?

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Try installing the Cisco VPN for Mac OS X, configure your guest OS for Shared Networking. Now both OS X and Windows can use the VPN link. You will likely have to manually configure the DNS name servers for the Windows network.

3. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

I can't use the OSX VPN client, since our organization requires the Windows-only "Cisco Stateful Firewall" to be present. :( The VPN in the guest OS was the only thing working, and now that it's stopped, there's a good chance I'm gonna have to give up my Macbook for a Dell (*shudder*).

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

that error is usually seen when NAT traversal hasnt worked.

I assume youre at home ? Try rebooting your router (if you have one), also, try uninstalling Parallels Tools, and reinstalling (restart after uninstall and again after reinstall), then do the same for the VPN software.

Are you using bridged or shared networking ?

5. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

This happened without NAT as well - I used a direct connect from our lab at work this afternoon to test. I also tested with both bridged and shared networking - no luck with either. I also used the Realtek and the Parallels network drivers - no luck there.

I'll try reinstalling parallels tools.

6. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

Uninstalled and reinstalled parallels tools, and now I can't get a DHCP address in bridged networking mode. Time to go back to 1970 :(

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Ewww! No chance of selling the equally stateful OS X firewall to them?

8. aberrant

aberrant Junior Member

If they even knew I had a Mac they'd be pretty ticked.

9. Beamon

Beamon Bit poster

I am using Cisco VPN Client Version 4.8.01.0300 under XP and it is working perfect. Parallels version is the latest, build 3120.

10. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Are you using shared networking? I'm guessing not.

11. JogyB

JogyB Bit poster

I'm using shared networking, Parallels Desktop RC1 and Cisco VPN client 4.8 - works fine.

12. Beamon

Beamon Bit poster

I am using shared networking and it is working just fine.

13. mouserider

mouserider Bit poster

I can't seem to get Cisco VPN Client to work with RC2 3150 under shared networking.

When using Cisco VPN Client v4.7.x even bridged networking didn't work (I didn't extensively test this fact though, I might have just messed up somewhere as I did see packets in and out)

But when I upgraded to v4.8.01.0300, bridged networking works but shared networking still doesn't.

When using shared networking, the VPN Client let's me log on and connects but I can't get anywhere after it is connected.

Looking at the Statistics window, I see packets leaving but none are coming back.

Is this just a "feature" of RC2 or is there something I need to do different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd rather use shared networking if I had a choice.

My Guest OS is Windows XP SP2.

Thanks much.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007