Clean upgrade. Problem: USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by moff, Dec 2, 2008.

1. moff

moff Member

Clean upgrade. Problem: USB device not recognized

First the good news: the upgrade from 3 to 4.0 build 3540 went amazingly smooth all the way. It froze one or two times, but nothing that restarting the machine did not solve.
    Even the Windows re-activation went great. I followed someone else' advice and instead of trying to get a new key over the Internet or even over the automated phone system, I went straight to a live person over the phone (clicked several times #0* until the system "gave up"), after a very short time talked to a nice rep who gave me the new key right away and from there, everything till the end went smooth.
    Thank you Parallels!
    I need Parallels and Windows mainly for backing up my Palm TX with the desktop, which is in a different league than the Palm desktop for Mac. I looked for a solution to this problem in this and other forums, but did not find any.
    After upgrading Parallels and installing Kapersky (had to erase Zone Alarm Security Suite) I updated Windows XP, uninstalled completely (also from the registry) the Palm Desktop and installed it from scratch (the latest version on the Palm website- PalmDesktopWin414e).
    Again, everything smoothly.
    Now the only problem is that the moment I connect the handheld (it's not even on yet) to the USB port I get 2 error messages:
    Parallels Desktop: "Stop the Palm synchronization and start it again.
    Click Cancel on the Palm device's screen to stop the synchronization, then start it again. The device will be automatically connected to the virtual machine. Make sure you do not connect any other devices to your Mac when working with Palm." "OK"
    AND
    a Windows one: Found new hardware, your hardware is installed and ready to use (?!)
    OR
    "USB Device Not Recognized
    One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance if solving this problem, click this message"
    Of course that clicking on the message does not solve anything, I tried to troubleshoot with Windows help, no help.
    Clicking on the message shows a pic of the USB Root Hub (2 ports) and under it one USB icon and next to it "Unknown Device" in bold letters (right clicking/Properties says "Device Status: No drivers are installed for this device") and underneath, one yellow question mark next to it written "Palm Handheld" (Properties: "This device is working properly") (?!) and "Driver/Driver Details: C:\Windows\PalmDevC.dll and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\PalmUSBD.sys")
    Going immediately to the Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers":
    1- "Intel (R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller- 2658- Ge- neral tab: This device is working properly."
    2- "Intel (R) 82801FB/FBM USB2 Enhanced Host Controller- 265c- General tab: This device is working properly."
    3- "Unknown Device, General tab: No drivers are installed for this device" (This one appears only I connect the handheld to the USB port)
    4- "USB Root Hub, : This device is working properly." Properties/Driver/Driver Details: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbd.sys and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbhub.sys
    5- "USB Root Hub, : This device is working properly." Properties/Driver/Driver Details: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbd.sys and C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\usbhub.sys

Some background:
    With Parallels 3 everything worked fine.
    If I connect something else (printer) the USB ports work.
    It does not matter which of the 2 USB ports I use.

Hardware
    MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory
    Mac OS X Version 10.5.5
    120 GB hard drive
    Parallels 4.0 build 3540 with Parallels Tools installed.

I attached all the pictures/images in a PDF file.

Thanks for your time and hope to have a solution soon. Saul

Attached Files:

2. moff

moff Member

Problem reported to Parallels Support Team

Report id 18737. Hope for solution. Thanks. Saul

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I submitted case to developers, thank you

4. moff

moff Member

Thanks John. I appreciate that. Saul

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please check in the Windows RegEdit (click Start->Run->regedit.exe) that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath contains %SystemRoot%\inf

(like on screenshot)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. moff

moff Member

Yes, looks exactly the same.

7. Emilson

Emilson Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem as moff (reported under ID 17965) and Windows registry looks as well as asked by Elric.

I thought I could try to synchronize my Palm TX via bluetooth but until now I found no way to activate successfully bluetooth out of guest OS Windows XP.

Bluetooth Icon is shown in the tasklist once I activated it under "device" in Parallels menu but everytime I try to send data it simply disconnects.

Would there be any remedy for this?

8. moff

moff Member

Yes, I tried many times and since long ago to set up BT sync with Windows XP with no success too.
    I installed the Mac version of the Palm DT and I can synchronize without any problems there.

By the way, I use the Mac DT to sync my documents.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  9. moff

moff Member

Hello.
    I was wondering if you have anything new in my case? It is too many days without backing up my Palm and I am very concerened.
    Also, randomly the machine has connection to the Internet and then there is no connection.
    The 3rd thing, I noticed Windows XP starts extremely slow.
    Thank you. Hope to hear from you soon. Saul

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It's interesting. How often these disconnections occur? How the connection is restored back? Are you using Shared Networking or Bridged? Are you using Parallels Internet Security or some other firewall? Please try to disable the firewall for some moments to detect whether it is the reason.

We are actively working now at the time of Windows startup.

11. moff

moff Member

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Could you please send a problem report next time when you will not have the connection.. then, it would be helpful to try in the Mac OS X Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal) the command "sudo killall -HUP prl_naptd" (without quotes) and after that try "Repair connection" in the Windows.

I know very little about USB and this is a task that is developed in other department. John said the case was passed to developers..
    I'd try to go to the Windows Device manager while device is connected and select "Update Driver" for the unworking USB device. May be it is not a Parallels Problem and something is broken in the list of installed Windows drivers.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  13. aherskowitz

aherskowitz Bit poster

Saul,

There is a great product that you can use to backup your Palm to make sure you don't loose anything (and restore it for testing the resolution of this problem). You just need some sort of media card that your Palm can read. I've used it for years:

http://www.bluenomad.com/bbvfs/prod_bbvfs_details.html

Hope that helps a little. Thanks for the detailed analysis of this issue too. I can't believe someone at Parallels doesn't use a Palm device!

Aa

14. moff

moff Member

Sent. id 19401

Did it. It worked! Thanks!

I tried that long and many times before posting here. In Device M. there are no not-working devices (I will resend soon an updated images, more clear that what I sent in the beginning) and all the drivers are fine. I tried then to install on the non-working device, but no avail, did not find a way to do it!
    Thanks. Saul

15. moff

moff Member

Wanted to post a more clear image/s of what I found. It is a Word doc and you can just click on each image and enlarge it, or enlarge the whole page if you need.

Attached Files:

16. moff

moff Member

In Windows Device M. windows does not succeed to install the drivers. (I tried for hours different ways).

The problem started only after the upgrade to 4.0. It looks to me like it IS a Parallels problem.
    Thank you. Saul

17. Emilson

Emilson Bit poster

Saul, thanks very much for your work and detailed analysis. I can only confirm that I do have exactly the same problems and I am also of the opinion that it is a Parallels problem as it worked perfectly under version 3.0 (with the exception of bluetooth).
    It looks like we would have to revert to the older version.

Of course one could do the backup with Mac Palm Desktop but in my case I do have a few company applications under windows I should urgently be able to synchronize with my Palm TX and the whole affair is frustrating.

Gerold

18. moff

moff Member

Thanks a lot Aa for the tip! I appreciate that. I checked out the website and it sounds great. I will buy a card and start using it.
    Thanks again. Happy Holidays. Saul

19. moff

moff Member

Hello Gerold.
    Thanks for the kind words!!
    I am absolutely sure it has to do with PD 4.0., I have no doubt about it!

As I am sure that the moment I revert to 3.0 business back to normal (and I can do it easily because I did backups to an external disk that was unmounted at the time I upgraded PD 4.0, so nothing could happen to the backup), but I am postponing it because:
    1- Parallels told us they are working on it (hopefully they are and hopefully they will get to a solution soon)
    2- I don't like this alternative either
    3- As I said, my only reason for having purchased Windows XP and Parallels was to use the Palm Desktop and now I am following Aa tip, buying the card and the software and at least my backups will be up to date (I also back up to other 2 Palm TX's I have that stopped working reliably, but for backups they are OK)

I do not want to use the PD for Mac because it is like going back to the Stone Age comparing to the Windows one.
    Thanks for your input. Saul

20. moff

moff Member

Would it be posible to get an update?

Hello. A question to the developers: it is already 1 week since I posted my first post regarding the USB problem. Are you working on this issue all this time and there is still no progress?!
    Could you update me what is the situation now? If there is anything new?
    Thank you. Saul