Cloning Ubuntu 22.04 with shared network gives an IP address conflict

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Colin_D, May 24, 2023.

1. Colin_D

Colin_D Bit poster

Hi - I'm installing Ubuntu 22.04 ARM64 LTS Server on Parallels 18.3 on a Mac M1. I set the first machine to use shared networking and get an IP address fine. I shut the machine down, clone it (NOT a linked clone) and then open the clones setting and re-generate the MAC address and then start it only to discover it has the same IP address as the first machine. I've restarted both machines, up/down the NICs in the guests, restarted Parallels, rebooted the machine, put them in bridge mode (and got distinct IP addresses from my main router), etc. but to no avail.

I cloned an Ubuntu 20.04 ARM64 machine and this works fine ie. the clone works and the IP address changes.

Anything else I could try to isolate this one please?

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The reason of your issue is that IPs are assigned using the machine ID file written in the /etc/machine-id file, so changing the IP address is only possible manually.

To try to resolve your issue, kindly perform the steps below:

- Start the Ubuntu Linux Virtual Machine,
    - Open a text editor,
    - Open /etc/machine-id and make changes, save the file.
    - Restart Ubuntu virtual machine.

If the issue still persists, you need to find the Parallels icon in the Mac top menu > Help > Collect technical data > Attach screenshots > Send a technical report) and the received 9-digit number of the report, please send a reply

Colin_D likes this.
  3. Colin_D

Colin_D Bit poster

Awesome stuff, this works fine. I used dbus-uuidgen --ensure=/etc/machine-id to create a new ID and rebooted and voila I had a new IP address.
    It seems this didn't used to be the case with earlier versions of Ubuntu ie. 20.04 seems to based on MAC address. Anyway I'm grateful for the quick reply and working solution, absolute love the product :)