Coherence windows not coming to front on click (5160)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by t@onecreative.net, Sep 12, 2007.

1. t@onecreative.net

t@onecreative.net Bit poster

Hi,

With coherence active and Parallels not in the forground, clicking on a guest window (in this case Windows XP SP2) does not bring that window to the front. Interacting with the Coherence windows still works, they just don't come to the front. Bizarro.

Clicking on the Paralells dock icon a few times brings all the windows to the front only sometimes.

Any thoughts?

T. Payton
    ------
    OS 10.4.10
    MacPro
    Windows XP SP2

2. wilf

wilf Bit poster

Same issue here. Re-installed 4560

3. jeffsure

jeffsure Junior Member

Works ok for me. No problem.

4. jamiemcd

jamiemcd Bit poster

XP Coherence windows remain behind Mac OS X windows

I upgraded to 5160 and am having this issue as well. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Tools. That did not fix it. I have two virtual machines (Windows XP SP2 with IE7 and Windows XP SP2 with IE6). I noticed that the virtual machine with IE6 does not have this problem, so I'm trying to figure out what is different.

Added: Sigh. Well, now the virtual machine with IE6 is also having this problem. It wasn't until I downloaded the latest updates for Windows from Microsoft. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Is your Mac OS X up to date?
    Is Windows Taskbar off in Coherence?
    Does it happens with other Windows applications?

Alexander

6. jamiemcd

jamiemcd Bit poster

Need to Group All Coherence Windows

First, answers to Alexander's questions:

Is your Mac OS X up to date? Yes

Is Windows Taskbar off in Coherence? Showing or hiding the Windows Taskbar did not affect the problem.

Does it happens with other Windows applications? Yes, all Windows applications that I tried.

The setting to fix this:

After checking and unchecking various settings, I finally found the one that is causing the issue. You need to check "Group all Coherence Windows"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  7. wilf

wilf Bit poster

Doesn't that setting mean that all Windows Xp windows are brought to the front rather than just the selected one?

thanks

8. jamiemcd

jamiemcd Bit poster

I'm not sure what that settings does. I gathered it had something to do with the new support for Apple Exposé in version 5160. However, with "Group all Coherence Windows" checked, all my Windows applications are showing as separate windows in Exposé.

9. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Hi,

Yes, it works as you described.

Alexander

10. bceverly

bceverly Member

My configuration dialog doesn't look like the one displayed. I only have a couple of those checkboxes. Any ideas why I'm different?

Thanks,
    Bryan

11. wilf

wilf Bit poster

Make sure you've updated to 5160. I'm back in 4560 and the options aren't available.

12. bceverly

bceverly Member

Yes. I am on build 5160. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bryan

13. Patrick Casey

Patrick Casey Bit poster

I'm seeing this too, and the proposed fix doesn't appear to be helping in my case.

Does anyone else running in coherence mode not have this problem? e.g. is coherence just screwed up in 5160 or it something specific with our configurations that's causing the error?

14. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I posted a similar problem with coherence in 5160. I have not seen it in other versions at all.

In my case I can be in my Delphi editor in the VM... I can be doing something like moving a scroll bar with the mouse and suddenly a window in OS X will come to the foreground covering part or all of the VM. Clicking back in the VM window (Delphi editor) does not bring it to the foreground. It takes several clicks, sometimes on different apps running in the windows tool bar to get the Delphi editor to the foreground.

It got so bad I'm back to not using coherence. This is the first release I've seen this strange behavior in. I'm running WinXP. Very clean VM as well with little installed.

I have all security turned to maximum in the VM, shared profiles are off etc.

M

15. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Mark,

Please try to enable "Group all Coherence windows" option.

16. bceverly

bceverly Member

How can I have build 5160 installed and not be able to see that dialog box?

Thanks,
    Bryan

17. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

That certainly makes it better but it still does strange things. For example:

In Delphi, my programming environment, if you hold the mouse over a var or object it will pop up a window showing where that object is (what file) and details about the object. Whenever these pop up windows appear ANOTHER APP is brought to the foreground.

M

18. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Bryan,

Please:
    1. Stop VM.
    2. Check version of Parallels Desktop in About Parallels Desktop.
    3. Go to VM configuration, Coherence tab. You will see.

Note: Coherence available only for Windows 2000, 2003, Xp and Vista.

19. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Mark,

Thank you, we will check it in our test labs.

20. jamus

jamus Bit poster

Archy, I have enabled "group all coherence windows" and it doesn't always help. Like Mark, I discovered that anytime I generate a pop up, the window moves to the front. For example, If a corner of my app window is visible, I click on the file menu and when the file menu draws, and brings up the app window. I also can right click somewhere I can bring up a pop up menu and the app window will immediately move to the front.