Color depth stuck on low

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by roffill, Jun 13, 2008.

1. roffill

roffill Guest

I've just set up my first Application Server and Client, and deployed some test applications. I've set the client experience to LAN, and the local resource display to High Color. However, when the application runs, it appears to be set to the lowest color. What might I need to check to fix this? Thank you.

2. nixu

nixu Guest

Hi

1) If server is win 2000, only 8 bit is available...
    2) Check the following from the TS ->start - programs - administrative tools - Terminal Services Configuration \ Connections-> RDP-Tcp properties -> Client Settings -> Limit Maximum Color Depth

Nixu

3. roffill

roffill Guest

Win2003

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a Win2003 server, and upon checking, the selection "Limit Maximum Color Depth was indeed checked, but the color depth was 16bit. I un-checked it, re-started the user session, and it still appears to be low color mode. :(

4. Lee

Lee Guest

Does the same occur with a full desktop session?

5. roffill

roffill Guest

App color depth

A full 2x desktop session provides full color. Hmm, what does that mean?

6. Lee

Lee Guest

Did you use the 2X ApplicationServer client or the MSRDP client to establish the full desktop connection?

Have you checked the color depth settings on the client side?

7. roffill

roffill Guest

low color depth

I used the 2x ApplicationServer client.

From the 2x ApplicationServer client settings:

Local Resources/Display is set to High Color (16 bit).
    Experience/Connection Speed is set to LAN.
    Advanced Settings/Use client system colors is checked.

8. Sergei

Sergei Guest

Do you have any restrictions set in AD? I recommend you to do RSOP to see all the settings passed to user.

9. roffill

roffill Guest

Sergei

I ran RSOP. What should I look for? I don't see any restrictions, but I may not know what to look for.

10. paulbell

paulbell Guest

I am having the same difficulty.

RDP does not have the color depth limited. Everything in 2X specifies client resolution.

RSOP shows nothing pertinent.

11. zippo

zippo Pro

Hi There,

I guess you must be using a multiple monitor system.
    If so the server can limit the resolution due to memory consuption

2X have an option to limit the application to the primary monitor check that out

12. Scott

Scott Guest

Hotfix for Color Issue

The color depth is unexpectedly changed to 8-bit when a high screen-resolution setting is used in a terminal-server session that is connected to a Windows Server 2003-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942610

13. tech92117

tech92117 Guest

Re: Hotfix for Color Issue

We had this same issue and ran this hotfix. While we now receive high color RDP by running **mstsc /v:<servernhame> /w:3840 /h:1024** directly, when we attempt to connect to a published app from 2x, the connection silently fails. If we use 2x to connect to a published desktop on that Terminal Server set at a lower resolution it connects successfully.

It appears to us that 2x appliation publishing is not compatible with this setting. Also note that although the hotfix states it will change a registry setting, it did not set the registry for us. We did so manually and rebooted for good measure. It still fails for us.

14. tech92117

tech92117 Guest

Further info as my situation may be somewhat unique.

I run dual 24" monitors on Vista. On my Vista machine I could only launch published applications if I restricted the connection properties to my main monitor. On XP, there were no issues for my coworker also running dual 24" monitors.

Happy to report that we now have full color depth with the caveat that Vista requires the setting above.

15. flydye

flydye Guest

I’m also running Windows Vista with dual 24” monitors using version 5.1 of the client with no problems. I thought I’d try out the new 6.2 client and had a few issues, including this one. I restricted the connection properties to a single monitor, but it didn’t fix the problem. I ended up rolling back to the 5.1 client.

16. tech92117

tech92117 Guest

flydye, did you also verify the registry setting in this KB was set correctly? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942610 For me, I had to manually set it even though the KB says the hotfix will set it.

17. flydye

flydye Guest

No, I didn’t even try. Honestly the 5.1 client worked fine without any patch or registry change so I uninstalled the 6.2 client and re-installed the 5.1 client. I don’t know what is causing the issue in the 6.x client, but the problem isn’t there in the 5.x client.