[Command]-[W] not being properly handled

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Abraun, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Abraun

Abraun Bit poster

The basics: Snow Leopard host OS, Snow Leopard Server guest OS under Parallels 7. Latest software all around.

I'm sure this is a pretty simple issue, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I've got my SL server installed as a VM and running just fine, but when I use [Command]-[W] to close a window (or [Command]-[Q] to quit one, for that matter) inside it, the keystroke does not go to the VM as I'd expect, but is instead interpreted by Parallels itself. The upshot is that attempting to close a window inside the VM is handled as if I were requesting that the VM itself be shut down, so I get presented with the suspend/shutdown confirmation drop-down.

You can see why this probably isn't the preferred situation. :)

I contacted the support chat team and they had me fiddle with the "Enable Mac OS X system shortcuts" checkbox, the "Reset defaults" button, the "Assistive Devices" setting in the host's system preferences, restarting the VM, etc. All to no avail.

This seems like a pretty basic problem, so I suspect that the solution is equally as basic, but it still eludes me. Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks!!!

2. Abraun

Abraun Bit poster

Fantastic. After hours with chat and phone support I finally got a "those keys don't work in an OS X virtual machine" answer.

Color me stunned.

3. wjens

wjens Bit poster

I just upgraded to from P6 to P7 on Lion and now Command-W closes my windows apps while in coherence mode instead of just closing the current tab or window. This used to work on P6.

4. Abraun

Abraun Bit poster

Interesting...but that may be a different issue than what I'd been trying to describe - which pertained to a Snow Leopard VM.

Still, I'll check it out in my Windows VM just to see if I'm having a similar problem there.

5. ollejah

ollejah Bit poster