Compacting Parallels Virtual Hard Disk Files

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by monoclast, Jun 27, 2006.

1. monoclast

monoclast Member

Can someone explain to me how Parallels calculates virtual hard disk sizes displayed in VM Properties?

• When I initially created this VM, I created a 10 GB expandable virtual disk image to run the host operating system (Fedora Core 5 Linux).
    • The Mac OS X Finder reports that the disk image HDD file is 7.42 GB in size.
    • The host operating system (FC5 Linux) reports that 6.8 GB is actually in use on the disk.
    • Yet Parallels, under the VM Properties > Hard Disk > Advanced panel, under the Optimization heading, says:

Actual size of disk image file is 3497 MB. Click Compact to reduce the size of the hard disk image file.​

This makes no sense to me. How does Parallels arrive at the number 3497?

Also, when I click the Compact button, a progress dialog is displayed for quite some time, indicating that some sort of progress must be happening, but after which the size of the file is unchanged.

I even went so far as to run ImageTool and Defragment expanding virtual hard disk before compacting - same results! The HDD file size is unchanged.

2. johnb

johnb Member

i've wondered the same thing. as well as how to expand the virtual hard disk if i need to. apparently merely changing it's size is not sufficient.....