Components not initialized in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by Khoji, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Khoji

Khoji Member

I'n testing Parallels for Windows and Linux and I've managed to overcome all the obstacles to installing Parallels on Ubuntu (bin/bash switch, KDE components etc.) but it seems that the installation program has not created the necessary scripts to initialize the Parallels components when the program is started.

Every time I start Parallels I get the message that vm-main cannot be found. Actually, it's not just vm-main, it's all the components that need to be initialized to start Parallels -- it just happens that vm-main is the first one that is not found. If I run parallels-config it automatically initializes all these components after recompiling and then I can start and run Parallels without any problems.

What do I need to do to get all the necessary components to initialize correctly so that I don't have to re-run parallels-config and recompile the drivers every time? I'm guessing that this probably means hypervisor, vm-main, vm-bridge and vmvirtualnic.

2. Don M

Don M Bit poster

Khoji,

I was having this problem too and after a little looking around on the forums found some record of the issue. Turns out that this may be (probably is) related to the bash vs. dash problem already encountered by so many Ubuntu users. This post talks a bit about it but basically says when the initial install is attempted and the bash/dash problem happens the autostart scripts aren't setup correctly.

What we should have is an entry under /etc/init.d/ named parallels that will respond to "start" and "stop" - this script is located at /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/parallels and if you take a look at it you can see it does the job. So, to get this to work I:

1. Changed lines 19 and 22 in /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/parallels to use "/bin/bash" rather than "/bin/sh"

2. Changed /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/drivers_start on lines 68 & 70 to call "sudo su" instead of "su" in keeping with Ubuntu standard practices [not sure if this is going to work as I think it will - I will update the thread if something comes up]

3. Linked the parallels script into /etc/init.d/ so it will be called on startup.
    Code:
    sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/parallels /etc/init.d/parallels
    And that is it.

Like I said, the sudo su change may/may not work. I will give it a shot and let you know.

Hope this helps.
    Don

3. Khoji

Khoji Member

Don,

Thanks a lot for posting this I will check it out -- I didn't see it until today because nobody answered initially and I haven't been monitoring the forum for a while.

Update: Just tried it and it worked. The Parallels item installed in the menu doesn't call the start script automatically but if I set it up to do that first then everything works. Thanks!!! :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  4. sidboswell

sidboswell Junior Member

same issue

I'm having the same problem in Edgy Eft.

On reboot I can not run parallels because the drivers are not started.

I followed the suggestions in this post and still no drivers running on startup. I can run the /usr/lib/parallels/autostart/drivers_start (sudo) and then start parallels with no issues, but I would prefer to have the drivers start automatically.

Until I figure it out, I'll create a script to start drivers, then open parallels each time.

If anyone knows why init.d isn't starting my drivers?