Compressor abnormally terminated! (v. 4650)

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by TAHARVEY, Aug 23, 2007.

1. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

I tried twice to compress my virtual drive. But it stopped saying "Process of compacting of the virtual hard drive was abnormally terminated due to the unrecoverable error"

I've read the forum item suggesting using "defragment HDD" mode in image tool. I don't see that option in v. 4650

How do I fix this?!?

2. tgrice

tgrice Member

I have the same problem, also in version 4650. I have tried using Windows Disk Clean up and Defragmenter before running compressor but I get the same result each time. The Windows XP utilities all run OK, the system reboots, it does the Windows preparation and then the Mac OSX utility kicks in. After about 2 to 3 hours and maybe 20% of the time taken, it halts with the same error message as above.

The problem's occurring in the OSX software so I'm sure it's not related to Windows memory settings or disk sizes. WinXP.hdd = 15.22 Gb and C: reports about 8Gb.

Explorer reports a new drive D: PARALLELS_COMPRESSOR still active after the failure.

Anyone got any ideas?

3. tgrice

tgrice Member

Problem fixed!

I opened up the Parallels Image Tool utility and (after backing up the hdd image to an external drive) added a nominal 1GB to the 32 Gb partition. After about half an hour, Image tool completed succesfully and my winxp.hdd file has dropped from 16Gb to 8.09Gb.

I'm speculating that the cause might be insuffient space on my MacBook Pro hard disk to buffer these large file sizes. I have (now) 22.3Gb free on a 160 Gb disk, so I'm a bit better off.

Happy now!

4. tgrice

tgrice Member

Final update, a few days later.

After completion of the previous disk resizing task using the Image tool, everytime that I rebooted Win XP, the compressor task kicked in again, obvously since it had failed to complete previously. Each time I cancelled it manually because I was too busy on doing real work.

This morning I let compressor continue and it succesfully completed the whole task without the abnormal termination after about two hours of very intensive processor use.

The Parallels Compressor D: drive is still present - even after a reboot of XP but it looks like the system has settled down now.