config fails: Parallels 2.2 on Fedora 7 with 2.6.22 kernel

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by azer, Jul 22, 2007.

?

Please indicate which release of Fedora you use with Parallels 2.2 and rate stability

1. Fedora 7: Rock Solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fedora 7: Somewhat Unstable

66.7%
  3. Fedora 6: Rock Solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fedora 6: Somewhat Unstable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fedora 5: Rock Solid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Fedora 5: Somewhat Unstable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fedora 5/6/7: Highly Unstable / Not usable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other: Rock Solid (ie: Redhat Enterprise)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other: Somewhat Unstable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other: Highly Unstable / Not usable

33.3%
  1. 1nept

1nept Junior Member

2. azer

azer Member

FYI: Rock Stable configuration under F7 & F8

Hi All,

Just wanted to say that I now have a rock-stable Parallels Virtual PC running under F8 and, before that, under F7 also.

From what I can tell, there were most likely several problems:

* The most obvious problem was the Parallels Clipboard. It rarely ever worked but, on some occasions, I would see little boxes instead of clipped text. It turned out that the clipboard was syncing null characters constantly. Removing the Parallels tools from the Virtual PC made a huge difference. I was running Windows XP Pro - so I found that logging in with rdesktop is better than using the Parallels Tools. The Video driver from Parallels seems to work fine, though. Most of the other drivers are probably also fine - the only one that had serious obvious problems was the clipboard.

* There were updates to Firefox at some point which included references to memory corruption in the changelog. This struck a chord with me as I often experienced severe problems after watching some flash videos during a break. I was able on one occasion to shell into the workstation and run ps which returned lots of garbage - clearly showing that the system memory had been trashed. Still, today, I find that Firefox crashes mysteriously some times after watching Flash Videos - but my workstation is very stable now.

* Windows Update and Windows Defender were found to be using so much CPU time for such long periods that the Virtual PC was totally unusable. Eventually I removed Windows Defender and turned off Windows Update. Actually I ended-up doing the same on my notebook and an old PC that I use for watching movies. These were not causing the Virtual PC to crash but they exaggerated every problem that did exist by simply pegging the CPU at 100% for long periods of time without any apparent purpose.

* At some point I was so desperate to get Parallels to run smoothly that I installed a new motherboard, new RAM and a quad-core CPU. (The problems with Parallels seemed to get worse with time so I thought perhaps they were due to defective hardware.) In the end, there was no detectable problem with the original hardware. However, the Quad Core CPU is much faster than the Dual Core CPU - so the original hardware was turned into paravirtualized servers under XEN and the new Quad Core CPU remained in my workstation. Both systems are running smoothly.

I hope this helps,
    Take Care,
    Sam.

p.s. Note that performance improved dramatically when I moved the Virtual PC images to an unused partition on my Fedora system. Now if the Virtual PC is running for many days it starts to slow down again - so I reboot it. I can also copy the images to another partition and back again as a kind of defrag operation which is also helpful.

HTH

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  3. smartvm

smartvm Bit poster

Best KVM

I will suggest you KVM Extender for connect the port