Connect to the Internet via the PC

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by smorgan2, May 7, 2007.

1. smorgan2

smorgan2 Bit poster

Please help. I rarely can get online using Window VM using XP Serive pac 2, memory allocaged to VM is 256 MB, Hard Drive is 30000MB, and the VM Configuration currently shows Network Adapter 1; Bridged Ethernet. Using 3188 build (and I think the current version of Tools)

I am currently at a place called Panera Bread, and both the wireless works on both Mac and PC VM using Parallels, it looks as if two different IP address are being issued as far as I can tell, and all I have to do to make the VM wireless work is to switch to the Default Adaptor under Devices Menu which shows Network Adpator 1 as Connected, with en0:ehternet connection en1:airport/wireless connection, host only and shared network are not checked.

As this is the only place I can get internet to work on both machines, can anyone tell me in detail the steps i need take either 1) to duplicate what is being offered by Panera AND 2) probably more important, A way to make both internet connections availiable under other situations...such as does anyone have a list on how to make both connections active using ethernet and also instructions when wireless is being used?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds like you are just using Bridged Networking. Just set it to that when you are elsewhere and it should behave the same (unless you need static IPs, which require additional set-up on both sides).

What do you mean by duplicating what is being offered by Panera?

3. smorgan2

smorgan2 Bit poster

Clarification

Thanks Eru. I am not sure how to select the Bridged Networking option, can you let me know how to do this. When I mean duplicating what i get a Panera, is that when i am at there shop, i can automatically get both internet service wirelessly for both the Mac and the VC, sometime with the VC i just have to click disable and then enable again and wella, internet connection for both systems.

Also for example, I am currently working with a fixed wire, ethernet and can brose with the Mac, but not with the VC and it looks like the options with the VC for networking is just Host-Only and Shared, and switching between the two makes no difference. Any ideas will help. Thank you.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

There should always be bridged networking. You will need to make the settings from the Properties window, after you open Parallels, but before booting the VM.

5. smorgan2

smorgan2 Bit poster

Still not working

I went to VM properites before booting VM and set Networking to Bridged Ethernet, booted VM and no result, I tried under Network Adpator 1 choices, selecting Default, then Host Only then Shared Networking all to no availe. Each time I chose each one of the above items the XP would should cable disconnect then 100 Mpb, but looking at local area connection it showed only packets received but 0 being sent. Not sure how to fix this. thanks.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... Maybe you need static addressing? Could that possibly be it?

7. smorgan2

smorgan2 Bit poster

Not sure what static addressing is?

Thank Eru, but Not sure what static addressing is? I am not technical so that makes it more difficult. Thanks for your help in advance.

8. constant

constant Forum Maven

That's where you assign an ip address, instead of using DHCP(assigned by the system). In windwoes, go to control panel, network connections, right click on your virtual network adaptor, and click on properties. Then double click on tcp/ip to get properties for that, and assign an ip address.

9. smorgan2

smorgan2 Bit poster

Thanks

Thank you gentlemen, problems solved.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Was it the static addressing that fixed it? Or something else?