Connecting to the internet in Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ChelseaL, Oct 22, 2009.

1. SB123

SB123 Bit poster

Report ID 957404

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please try the next steps:

go to the menu Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> Network and press Restore Defaults. Then reboot the VM.

If this won't help, reboot the Mac and repeat the step with ipconfig/all + sending a Problem Report.

3. SB123

SB123 Bit poster

Id report

id 967199 posted

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hm. For some reason the DHCP is not enabled for Parallels Adapter in VM.

Please go to Start -> Settings -> "Network Connections", right-click "Local Area Connections" -> Properties, double-click "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and choose "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtains DNSserver address automatically"

If this won't help,

Click "Start" -> "Run" and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window two commands (without quotes):

netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt
    netsh winsock reset

then reboot the VM and check whether it have helped

5. scottm

scottm Bit poster

Report ID 973272

I have 2 Macs each running Parallels (mine v4, wife's is v3x). My "Report a Problem..." generated the above ID, hers did not.

We both have been running along just fine until power went out and when it came back up, neither Parallels had internet access... but both Macs still connect just fine.

Reading thru the earlier posts, my Prefs are set for Shared Networking... hers (under v3x shows BOTH shared and host-only networking are enabled).

Any assistance is appreciated.

Scott

6. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Well.. at least in the XP for which the Problem Report was sent, the Networking is set to Bridged, please try Shared

But the main problem (I belive that after fix bridged will also work), that there are two machines with the same IP-address in network:

Nov 13 10:23:18 sms-computer kernel[0]: arp: 192.168.1.1 moved from 00:14:51:5e:93:be to 00:30:ab:02:bc:ea on en0
    Nov 13 10:23:19 sms-computer kernel[0]: arp: 192.168.1.1 moved from 00:30:ab:02:bc:ea to 00:14:51:5e:93:be on en0

7. SB123

SB123 Bit poster

Solved for me Thank you very much

8. ft5

ft5 Bit poster

Id 980756

ID 980756

Snow Leopard running Parallels 5 / Windows 7.

It's saying there are no network adapters in Windows.

Thanks!

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Try to install Parallels Tools. There should be a hint on the status bar (agree, it is hard to notice...)

from menu of Parallels Desktop: "Virtual Machine" -> "Install Parallels Tools"

10. RonnyB

RonnyB Bit poster

Connected to Internet after downloading Parallels Tools

After installing Windows 7, then Parallels 5, Parallels Tools was not installed. Therefore my network adapter, which works well on the Mac side, was not recognized, and I had no Internet connection, no sound , no printers. After "re-installing" Tools under the Virtual Machine tab in Parallels Desktop, with the Parallels 5 DVD in the DVD slot, everything became normal (got Internet and sound), and I managed to add my printers as well.

One thing that perhaps may have helped, but I am not certain of it, was that prior to re-installing Tools I went to the adapter's website (Marvell in my case, from the Mac side), downloaded 3 likely drivers for Windows 7 (to a USB flash card device), checked the device on Parallels under Devices>USB, opened it and grabbed each zipped folder and put it in the Windows desktop. Then, I opened the folders one by one and tried to install them. None of them seemed to work, until I reinstalled Tools. FYI.

11. scottm

scottm Bit poster

Thanks for getting back to me on this... I suspected the IP addresses might be at issue, but the addresses assigned to each machine (as seen under "Local Area Connection Status" windows) are both different and the 192.168.1.1 address you reference is the Network Gateway address of my router, so I must be missing the point. Please point me in the right direction to get this fixed.

Thanks,

Scott

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Well... Do you have an iPhone? It is just a wild guess - 00:14:51:5e:93:be likely belongs to either iPhone or some another Apple hardware.

And your switch (00:30:ab) is really from Delta?

Your issue needs to be investigated locally.. It is hard to say anything more precise without looking closely.

13. scottm

scottm Bit poster

The 00:14:51:5e:93:be is my Airport Extreme Base Station... I don't know what the 00:30 number is but it is not either of our iPhones. It appears that (according to the log segment you quoted) that the gateway was "moved" from the Airport Extreme to some other device and then, one second later moved BACK to the Airport... maybe a reboot? And, again, my Parallels XPs each have a different IP address. So, I don't yet see where there is IP address duplication.

I'll go ahead and look for a consultant here, but if you could point me towards any setup tutorials or other info that would instruct me how to change to addresses, I'd appreciate the direction.

Scott

14. BeckyD

BeckyD Bit poster

Okay here is my report id 1111616.

I just upgraded to Parallels 5 and am not able to connect to internet via internet explorer or firefox.
    Thank you for any help you can give me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Strange, there are no any problems appeared in Problem Report. Could you please try to execute in the cmd.exe the command "ping www.google.com" (without quotes) and post the output here. Then try to open www.google.com in firefox and try to open www.google.com and if it doesn't work the address http://74.125.87.147

16. BeckyD

BeckyD Bit poster

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It looks very much like there is some virus inside VM... Do you have antivirus installed? If no, please try to install one. If yes, make sure that there is only one antivirus installed. For example, installing both AVG and Kaspersky likely won't work

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. Whitey193

Whitey193 Bit poster

Same problem

Hi all. Having the same problem. Brand new mac book pro, fresh install of parallels and of windows 7 professional. When installed the network goes down and internet. Uninstall and it's fine again. It's showing network as being shared and I can't see any other issues.

The report ID 1130868.

I'll have to uninstall it until someone helps here as I need access.

Thx in advance.

Whitey.

19. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

I see... without Parallels Internet Security all works ok..
    I'll pass the issue to responsive instance

20. Whitey193

Whitey193 Bit poster

Thx for the reply. I've uninstalled it and I have full access again.

Whitey.