Connection Failed - Failed to connect to the remote computer

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by ssdbrown, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Parallel Access was successfully installed on my MacBook Air.
    I am logged on to access.parallels and access is turned on on the mac (localhost accessible).
    Parallels Access app is installed on my ipad and I am logged on.
    I can see my MacBook Air (localhost) under My Computers in the app on my ipad.
    However I cannnot connect.
    I receive the following message:
    "Connection Failed
    Failed to connect to the remote computer"
    Passwords are the same on both devices.
    Both devices are connected to the internet and on the same wireless network.
    Is anyone else having this problem?
    Any suggestions please?
    Thank you,
    Scott.

2. bobpenn

bobpenn Junior Member

Happened to me. Try going to the Mac and getting to the Access control panel. Then turn Access off and then turn it on again.

Worked for me.

3. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Turned off Access Control on the Mac - ipad app shows localhost is offline - Good
    Turned on Access Control on the Mac - ipad app shows localhost is online - Good
    Clicked connect - spinning wheel shows connection in progress - Again good
    After some seconds,"Connection Failed. Failed to connect to the remote computer" - Bad
    Hope someone else has some ideas.....

4. bobpenn

bobpenn Junior Member

Try deleting the iPad app. Then turn off access from the control panel on the Mac. Then redownload the iPad app and turn on access on the Mac. I dunno, it worked for me.

5. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Thanks Bobpenn,
    I deleted the iPad app, turned off access from the MAc, reinstalled the iPad app and turned on access again.
    Unfortunately it had no impact.
    I still get the message:
    "Connection Failed. Failed to connect to the remote computer"
    Don't know what to try next.
    Scott.

6. nicotoroboto

nicotoroboto Junior Member

Just chiming in to say I am also experiencing this issue. I get so far as I can pick the computer I wish to remote. It then brings up the password prompt (I have unchecked and tried to go straight in as well), the screen slides to the left and you can see the milky way wallpaper in the back ground. It then says connecting to (computer-name) but never does. Then it returns this error.

I have also tried to uninstall the app and reinstall it. FWIW I installed access as part of the Parallels 9 upgrade. I deleted the app and tried the web download instead. Removed the app from the iPad also but no go there. I tried to use the cellular connection on my iPad as well as the same wifi network. Only thing I have not done is completely uninstalled Parallels itself. Maybe there is a config file somewhere that doesn't delete on it's own? Here are the specs on the systems used to connect in case it helps:

MacBook Pro Retina - 10.8.4
    iPad 4th Gen with Cellular - 6.1.2
    Parallels 9 installed along with latest Access download

Let me know if there is any other info you'd like. I will be enabling detailing logging next and trying again. Thanks everyone.

7. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

That is exactly what I see too.

MacBook Air - 10.8.4
    iPad 4th gen - wifi
    Parallels 9 installed at the same time as Parallels Access

I sent an error report to Parallels with attached log but no response.

Thanks.

8. nicotoroboto

Just tried with a different iPad (same mac though). This was an iPad Mini Wifi. Same result. So it looks like it is either something on the computer itself, a configuration/authentication issue (if that's part of the process) on the Parallels Access server side, or possibly even a firewall/port issue with the router at our homes? The latter would only be an issue if the app isn't properly detecting the fact that it is on the same network already so it tries to go out to come back in. These are all just ideas of course as I don't know how the Access architecture works behind the scenes.

I still haven't taken a look at my logs but will now. I did however completely remove Parallels 9 itself and reinstalled it. The error continued.

9. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

I have now tried on the network at work and at home with the same problem at both places.

10. nicotoroboto

No fixes or anything yet but I do have an update. I was able to go to my parents house and do some testing. The bad news? My laptop still didn't work, this along with your work/home test also suggests it's most likely not a network issue at least with regards to our Linksys/DLink/Netgear, etc. The good news? I loaded it on my Dad's Mac Mini and it worked immediately. Some additional good news is that in my limited testing I found that when it works, it works wonderfully well. This is at least something for us to look forward to.

What does this mean? It would suggest that this is an issue with our computer configurations and/or some software issue with our particular builds of OSX or devices. I'm still going to troubleshoot this a little more but it may ultimately be something that the developers have to patch.

Mind if I ask you some questions ssdbrown? Did you upgrade to get Parallels 9 or did you subscribe to Access separately? If you upgraded, which version was it from? Is your OSX firewall enabled? (Mine was and disabling didn't help I'm honestly just trying to see what we may have in common).

I also looked at the logs quickly and saw that it indeed detected the laptop and the iPad were on the same network. The problem seemed to be when it tried to also detect it using IPv6. It seems to start the direct access not available log messages then and even switches over to IPv4 and says the same. This may be a dead end as I was just skimming the logs but I just wanted to mention it in case one of the support folks saw this thread. I'll report back with any other info I find. Thanks.

11. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Hi nicotoroboto,
    I have Firewall turned on - I checked the settings and incoming connections for Parallels Access is turned on.
    To answer your other question, I upgraded to Parallels 9 and installed Parallels Access at the same time.
    I upgraded from version 8.
    Scott.

12. nicotoroboto

Thanks, same here. I also upgraded from 8. I haven't had a chance to do too much troubleshooting but I did boot into Bootcamp and installed access. Worked immediately. Still no go on the OSX side though. I hope to finally dig into those logs later day. Not sure if support is going to be around during the long weekend unfortunately.

13. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

I think we've narrowed it down to the OSX side of things.
    I have tried changing IPv6 settings from automatic to link-local only - no effect;
    I also turned on auto proxy discovery in case that had an effect - no impact;
    Turned on "ask for my Mac OSX user name and password" setting in Parallels Agent - I was duly ask for this information but it didn't help.
    Stumped.....

14. HartmutF

HartmutF Bit poster

Hi guys,
    I am facing the same issue, after having installed Access on my iPad and on a Mac mini the app fails to connect to the Mac mini. And I agree, I also think it is on the OSX side, my 'favorite' candidate being System Preferences / Sharing (Systemeinstellungen / Freigaben) which seems to be supported by nicotoroboto's experience with another Mac with different settings I assume. I've sent feedback to Parallels, let's see what they come back with.

15. nicotoroboto

I have some disturbing news. Mine works now...? Last night I did do a huge uninstall and re-install almost searching everywhere for left over Parallels files but I tried it again after and it definitely didn't work. I also did some maintenance with Onyx but again, it didn't work before I went to bed. I did also uncheck and recheck the sharing options and rebooted a few times as HartmutF is suggesting. But then I left it on and alone and after breakfast it popped right up as if there were never any issues? I don't think a complete uninstall and cache, etc cleaning maintenance is a "fix" so I'll try to review some of the files I deleted to see if any make sense. The really strange part is that it definitely didn't work and I did nothing else after that? I'll see if I can make any sense of this. In the mean time, try yours again I guess? Sorry I don't have better news!

16. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Very strange!
    I turned on every sharing option before and it didn't make any difference.
    Will try again and leave it for a while to see if anything happens.

17. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Still no joy.....

Meanwhile, here is the response from Parallels support:

We appreciate you taking time to share with us details of the issue. Moving forward, please ensure that correct credentials were all set on both iPad and your Computer. Please refer to the link below which outlines step by step procedure on how to setup your Parallels Access.

> Getting Started with Parallels Access: http://kb.parallels.com//116770

In addition to this, one of the factors that may contribute to the connectivity issue is if you are behind a firewall. If you are using an Office Network, Firewall are usually setup to block remote session connection. Please try using a different Network or contact your Network Administrator to unblock the ports necessary for Parallels Access. To know about these communication ports, please use the link below.
    > What network ports should be open to ensure stable connection for Parallels Access: http://kb.parallels.com/en/117017

We included a user's guide for your reference to know more about the features and functionality that Parallels Access offers.
    > Parallels Access User's Guide: http://download.parallels.com/pmobile/v1/docs/Parallels_Access_Users_Guide_EN.pdf

Should you have any other issues involving Parallels Access, please let us know and we will be with you as soon as possible. Based on the resolution that has been sent to you, this ticket will be placed in the "Pending confirmation by customer" status. If this ticket has not been resolved to your satisfaction, please feel free to reply to this ticket within the next 14 days and we will reopen it for you.

Your opinion is valuable to us, please fill in the survey which will be sent to you automatically as I change the status of your ticket. Parallels takes your feedback very seriously and each survey is reviewed carefully to identify and act on opportunities for improvement.

We appreciate your time and consideration.

Best regards,

18. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

Same issue experienced in my configuration, worked great for a day and then this error on every access attempt? Tried the reinstall with no luck in my case? I would report to Parallels as well but expect the same canned response as listed below (have never had much luck with Parallels support).

While monitoring this thread for further develops and hopefully a better understanding, I was curious about the firewall comments. I bypassed little snitch by placing it in "allow connection attempts" and then cycled the connection under access via the MAC Parallels preferences pane. After the interface showed accessible again was able to connect with no issues once again? I wonder if there is some connection to the firewall rules that it does not play well with or if the issue is simply on the Parallels host end and recycling the interface helps to wake it up or reset it in their (parallels) network interface environment?

I may be wrong but it seems to me the MAC host connects to parallels as a DMZ connection service and then the iPad connects to the same DMZ to establish the session. When it is not working, it appears to be the connection of the MAC to the DMZ not the iPad. The iPad connects fine which is why the iPad login and such processes but the service cannot establish the session with the MAC host.

Anyways ... If you are experiencing this issue, I would recommend to start troubleshooting any firewall connections / software first as that appeared to be the common denominator in my issue. At least bypass / reset / turn off / or uninstall any firewall software while you are trouble shooting to ensure it is allowing the connection traffic to pass to the session attempts.

19. ssdbrown

ssdbrown Junior Member

Zendog,
    many thanks for your suggestions.
    I have had the firewall on my MAC turned off all day and have cycled access on and off in Parallels Access on the Mac many times.....all to no avail.
    To cap it all, the messing about seems to have messed up Time Machine. Sigh.

20. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

Sorry to hear of the continued issues. What are using for you firewall? Can you see a connection to pax-manager.myparallels.com 54.x.x.x under your firewall? These may be different issues with a common underlying theme. (I am still thinking it is the service itself getting stuck on the connection to the host from the parallels side of things and the ones that have been lucky enough to reset have simply woke up the service session in various ways such as reinstall, reset, new connection, etc).

If you have not already tried, one avenue to explore would be to connect to the service under a different host IP. It appeared that your config is using a wireless connection for both the host and the iPad. You may want to restart your public network connections from the ground up (ensuring by force or reset that you get a new public IP address that your host is connecting through to the parallels service) and then restart your mac parallels access interface with your firewall removed or disabled with pass through (removed may be best for the test to ensure it is not blocking traffic). If the issue is one that the service is out of synch with the host mac but still thinks it has a connection, this may be a way to force the service to wake up and refresh the connection with your host. Can you force a new public IP through your router?