Considering a new Mac with an Apple Chip (M1X?)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JanC1, Oct 13, 2021.

1. JanC1

JanC1 Bit poster

There is an announcement from Apple Monday (10/18). Though we don't seem to know the full details, the guess is that some new MacBook Pro's will be released with Apple's chips (vs. Intel). When I have purchased new Mac's in the past, I used an Apple conversion routine that automatically mirrors my old Mac to my new one. So, since I am going from an Intel Mac to and M1 Mac, will this work and if not, what will I need to do to get Windows working? (just transferring Windows 10).

Secondly, after the transfer, I presume at some point, I will upgrade to Windows 11. It seems I cannot upgrade now without creating a "TPM". Will that be the case forever, or is it projected that at some point Parallels will provide an easier way to upgrade?

Thanks.

Jan C.

2. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

You need to stay with an intel mac to keep using your existing VMs. Parallels on M1 Mac won't be able to run x86 based guests unfortunately.

3. JanC1

JanC1 Bit poster

Thanks. Does that mean my Parallels subscription won't work at all? I seem to have read somewhere that I can transfer it to the new M1 Mac, but that I will have to create a new virtual machine and reinstall all programs. Do you agree with that? Also, will that fix the Windows 11 problem?

4. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Parallels subscription and parallels isn't the problem. It will run on the M1 Mac fine. You can't run x86 guests on M1 hardware, you would have to install an ARM version of windows in the VM.

5. JanC1

JanC1 Bit poster

Sorry - I'm a bit of a novice at this. What is an x86 guest?

6. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Windows runs on Intel x86 hardware. M1X is ARM not intel. Microsoft is in the process making a version of windows for Arm.

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Junior Member

Simply put if you need to run Windows VMs you don't want an M1X based Mac

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, Thank you for your responses. Parallels Team.