Convert real mac in a virtual mac in parallels

JohnB79

Bit poster
Hi there
I would like to convert one of my older mac in a virtual mac in parallels. I do not want to start all over, installing programs and creating/migrating users.
Is there no easier way to do that by migration?
 
I used Disk Utility.app to create a new disk image, format it as GPT with 1 partition, then use Restore to duplicate HFS+ partition to the new disk image partition. I don't think Restore works with APFS partitions? I haven't tried that. I would use the dd command if the Restore doesn't work.
The prl_disk_tool has an option to create a Parallels hdd file from a dmg. Instead of that, I created a hdd manually that points to the dmg so it doesn't get duplicated and I can still mount the dmg in the Finder.
 
Back
Top