Converting a trial Virtual PC image

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by jbjon, Oct 12, 2009.

1. jbjon

jbjon Bit poster

I've downloaded a trial Virtual PC image of Visual Studio Team Foundation Server and Team Suite and want to run it using Parallels.
    If I give Parallels Transporter the VHD image, it accepts it and then asks me for the Windows Server 2003 CD. This is a free-to-download image from Microsoft and I don't have the specific Windows Server disk.
    If I try and use my virtual Windows XP machine on Parallels to try and run the, now free to download, Virtual PC 2007 I get told that the CPU is not the correct type.

Is there anything I can do to get this free-to-download trial image to work without needing a proper version of Windows Server to get it to run?
    The Virtual PC VHD image has everything on it that it needs to run, I just want to run it on Parallels.

I'm sure this will be a Microsoft restriction rather than anything Parallels has done, but it would be good to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this.

2. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Hi, jbjon

You can try to convert VHD image as data disk. After that create new VM using the resulted disk image.

WBR,
    Stuw

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. soundevolution

soundevolution Member

I'd like to know the answer to this too...

I've downloaded a trial VHD from microsoft that I'd like to run in Parallels. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get Parallels to accept the VHD file.

Also - just noticed that the Parallels "Add Hardware Assistant" dialogue window has no cancel button. Ugly. You can cancel by pressing Esc on the keyboard though.

4. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Parallels emulates different hardware than other vendors. Therefore in some cases we must install drivers that packed in source cabs and not present on the virtual disk.
    In Parallels Desktop 5 we have improved this process and in many cases you will not need a CD.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009