Converting Virtualbox to Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MahmutovicK, May 4, 2021.

1. MahmutovicK

MahmutovicK Bit poster

Hey everyone,
    I have a bit of a issue, I'm trying to convert my VirtualBox VM to Parallels, but when I'm doing the conversion I'm getting always the same ERROR that my .vbox "This virtual machine does not have a hard disk"

Does anyone know how to fix this

2. xgrep

xgrep Bit poster

I battled with this for quite a while before stumbling on something that works. The existing instructions telling you to open the .vbox file don't work (I'm sure they once did, and may still work in some situations). They generate a .pvm package that doesn't contain a disk. Instead, open the .vdi file. Parallels will convert it to a working parallels guest. Things may be more complicated if your VirtualBox guest has more than one disk, but this should get you going. The rest of the instructions work fine (clone the VB guest without snapshots, remove guest additions from the clone, etc.).

I reported this to support, who said they're relay it to the people who maintain the help info. It hasn't changed as of this writing.

LeefeH likes this.
  3. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please follow the steps from this KB article for converting a 3rd party VM to Parallels VM.

4. LeefeH

LeefeH Bit poster

So, you are saying that for VirtualBox Paralells can only import the '.vbox' file that represents that harddrive, and not the '.vdi' file that represents the machine?
    The article "Converting VirtualBox to Parallels Desktop" from 22 Decemper 2015, basically says that too. But it doesn't help if you have multiple drives on the existing VM.
    How do you import multiple drives from an existing VirtualBox VM into one machine in Parallels?
    This is my problem at the moment.