Copy/Paste doesn't work & Can't see Mac Drives

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidA4, Dec 22, 2019.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

So, I've been using Parallels Desktop since 2015 and have installed many virtual machines (most were Windows machines). Prior to today - it seems that installation was set up such that the macOS drive was immediately and obviously available to the Windows machine (7 and 10) and the copy/paste clipboard feature was also set to work by default. Today, it's a different story. I've installed a Windows 10 VM under Parallels 15 and there is no evidence of a macOS drive (I'm looking in the Network area of Explorer) and the copy/paste clipboard feature doesn't work at all. So, the new Windows 10 VM is effectively isolated from my Mac. More maddening is that Share Mac Clipboard is enabled, and Isolate Windows from Mac is unchecked. So, why isn't this working? What is wrong? Why was this changed?

2. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Okay, this was the problem. For whatever reason Parallels Tools was not installed with the fresh install of Windows 10. Here is how to install Parallels Tools

• Open the virtual machine (Windows 10 in my case)
    • Move mouse cursor to the top of the screen - select "Actions"
    • Select "Install Parallels Tool". (you might have to manually open the DVD drive and double click "autorun" )
    • After Parallels Tools installs and you've rebooted the virtual machine you should see your macOS desktop icons in your Windows 10 Desktop (so drives are connected) and cut/paste between mac and windows should also work - (at least that was my experience)