When I was running Parallels 3.x I ran my virtual machine with the winxp.hdd file located on an external drive. It worked fine.
I upgraded to 4.x. Had a few of the problems reported elsewhere (100% processor, a BSOD, the usual), but I spent the time getting (most of) them fixed. While running the (previously running flawlessly) VM and fixing things, it occurred to me that I should bite the bullet and move winxp.hdd back to the hard drive.
Which would be fine, except it won't copy (fails: "resource busy"). I can't burn an image (fails: "resource busy"). I can't use Parallels Transporter (hangs -- left it running for 8 hours overnight with no progress). I understand that winxp.hdd is actually a package, and it's the internal file that *also* ends with .hdd that actually holds the data, and it fails the same way.
Through all the various ways I've tried to move the file, it seems to fail after about 214 MB. Transporter seems to copy about 214 MB before it hangs.
I've unmounted the partition and tried creating a disk image of the whole volume. Hung after 214 MB.
I keep after this because I'm getting "resource busy" errors when the VM is actually running, and occasionally a BSOD. Really makes the VM unusable.
Oh yeah, even tried running a Transporter session from host Mac to the running VM. It didn't object and seemed to work until a "resource busy" error dialog came up, soon to be followed by a BSOD.
So my mistake was copying the winxp.hdd file out to the external drive 6 months ago, but it was fine until I upgraded.
Anyone have any ideas?
I upgraded to 4.x. Had a few of the problems reported elsewhere (100% processor, a BSOD, the usual), but I spent the time getting (most of) them fixed. While running the (previously running flawlessly) VM and fixing things, it occurred to me that I should bite the bullet and move winxp.hdd back to the hard drive.
Which would be fine, except it won't copy (fails: "resource busy"). I can't burn an image (fails: "resource busy"). I can't use Parallels Transporter (hangs -- left it running for 8 hours overnight with no progress). I understand that winxp.hdd is actually a package, and it's the internal file that *also* ends with .hdd that actually holds the data, and it fails the same way.
Through all the various ways I've tried to move the file, it seems to fail after about 214 MB. Transporter seems to copy about 214 MB before it hangs.
I've unmounted the partition and tried creating a disk image of the whole volume. Hung after 214 MB.
I keep after this because I'm getting "resource busy" errors when the VM is actually running, and occasionally a BSOD. Really makes the VM unusable.
Oh yeah, even tried running a Transporter session from host Mac to the running VM. It didn't object and seemed to work until a "resource busy" error dialog came up, soon to be followed by a BSOD.
So my mistake was copying the winxp.hdd file out to the external drive 6 months ago, but it was fine until I upgraded.
Anyone have any ideas?