Crash loading Windows wm

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Valerio, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Valerio

Valerio Bit poster

Hi all! I have a WM with windows XP Professional. Just after the boot, Parallel desktop crashes. I tried to revert to a previous working snapshot, but nothing changes.
    Seems like the windows wm crashes when load parallels tool for windows but i'm not so sure.
    I have also another WM with Gentoo Linux and it works like a charm!

If needed i can post the Apple's crash reporting dump for the problem, but it's a bit long and the forum doesn't allow me to post in a single message

Thanks in advance!

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please check your Private Messages incoming box,

Best regards,
    John

3. sabapete

sabapete Bit poster

Parallels crashes when windows virtual machine starts

I just upgraded to the latest release of Parallels 3.0 (4560). When activating the virtual machine, windows begins some kind of update process (Smartselect....) automatically shutting parallels down.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Sabapete

4. Intersecting

Intersecting Parallels Team

Try to reinstall the parallels tools. If you are unable to reinstall them because the VM crashes, start Windows in the safe mode, uninstall the tools, reboot and install them.

5. girto001

girto001 Bit poster

Hi. Same problems for me except mine was a fresh install of 4560. The Windows XP installation went fine and Parallels Tools installed fine as well. With that stable system, I was able to install the included virus protection and do all the critical updates for Windows XP SP2. I then used the VM to launch a little installer application that put about 1.2 GB of medical reference material on an SD card for my Treo 700P using a USB card reader that I attached to the VM. When that was done, I disconnected the card reader from Windows and shut down Windows without any problems. A few days later I returned to Parallels and my VM now crashes just after Windows starts.

I am very new to Parallels and this virtualization stuff, but am relatively experienced with the Mac and Windows as well. How do I start troubleshooting this seemingly big problem? With the crash, the Mac OS created an error log that I forwarded to Apple. The whole file is 28 K and exceeds the upload limits for the forum. I have pasted in the first few lines below to hopefully pique someone's interest:

Date/Time: 2007-08-23 10:27:21.663 -1000
    OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R2232)
    Report Version: 4

Command: Parallels
    Path: /Applications/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/Parallels
    Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: 3.0 (3.0 Build 4560.0)

PID: 642
    Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BREAKPOINT (0x0006)
    Code[0]: 0x00000002
    Code[1]: 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
    0 com.apple.Foundation 0x9282847f _NSRaiseError + 227
    1 com.apple.Foundation 0x9284f23f +[NSException raise:format:] + 57
    2 com.apple.Foundation 0x928d74be -[NSObject doesNotRecognizeSelector:] + 123
    3 com.apple.Foundation 0x927fb34b -[NSObject(NSForwardInvocation) forward::] + 184
    4 libobjc.A.dylib 0x90a5ccc1 _objc_msgForward + 49
    5 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x908115a8 CFArrayGetCount + 97

If this thread is not the right one for me to post this issue, then I apologize.

Any help (clue) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

6. girto001

girto001 Bit poster

The quick "fix", as posted elsewhere in these forums, appears to have been to disable the application sharing feature of Parallels Tools. I think that is kind of a cool feature. Are there plans to make that work at some time in the future?

7. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please start Parallels, open Configuration Editor and find Shared Applications. Please deselect all checkboxes in the Shared Applications options. After that reinstalled Parallels Tools. Shared folders should reappear.

Best regards,
    John

8. girto001

girto001 Bit poster

johnv, thank you for your response. Without reinstalling Parallels Tools, the file sharing feature works fine. Should I reinstall anyway?

Also, what is the issue with the shared application feature causing Parallels Desktop to crash in Windows XP? Is there a patch planned to restore functionality for application sharing?

Thanks.