Created file etc in Windows 10 but cannot see it via OSX Finder

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnW8, Sep 23, 2016.

1. JohnW8

JohnW8 Junior Member

Hello,

I have what appears to be a very strange issue:-
    Running an Excel VBA program under W10 and the files created are stored in a folder that is in the OXS environment
    When i try to view the files etc via OSX Finder they are not visible
    If i try to find them via Spotlight they are found and i can open them from the Spot Light window.
    If i go back to Excel in W10 i can locate the files and open them.
    What is going on please???

thx

John

2. JohnW8

JohnW8 Junior Member

OK,
    I have been doing some further investigations, but firstly let me say that i am on OSX 10.12
    1. If i try to view the generated file via the OSX desktop ie selecting the folder alias which i have on the desktop then there is nothing in the folder.
    2. If i use the Finder > Go > Home and then navigate to the Folder then i can see the generated file ....
    3. However something else that is interesting, when i use the Go > Home method, i have to navigate through a couple of layer of "Parent Folders" to reach the target Folder, but what is interesting is that the "Parents" folders only indicate and only display 1 'Child" item, then you then you select the "Child" and it does the same thing...only one "Child" item until i get to the Target folder. What is strange is that all the PArent folders i have to navigate through all have 10's of folders and files within them ....
    4. What is parallels doing to confuse the Finder ???? is this possible???

Thanks

John

3. JohnW8

JohnW8 Junior Member

Thanks to Parallels Support for helping me out and fix this issue.
    The problem was caused by me setting the path within Windows Excel to the incorrect folder.
    I specifically wanted to use this VBA program within excel which was incompatible with Excel on OSX, but one of the issues i had was that the file i generated within Excel could not be stored by selecting a destination folder via a Browse option, the only way to specify the target folder was by inserting the path, which was predefined within the VBA program as \\mac\Home ...... and i added to that to target what i thought was the Folder i was seeing on my OSX desktop... however the \\Mac\Home\ ... was within my OSX System folder, so i ended up creating a whole new folder structure to a new folder that was not the folder that i had created on my OSX desktop.
    One feature i learnt about was the Custom Folders option within Parallels, to use go to the Parallels icon in the OSX menu bar and Select Configure, from there select Sharing and within this window Select Custom Folders within the Share Folders heading, from here you can browse to a specific Folder in the OSX environment, this path is now visible within Windows as a Virtual Disk which can be easily selected within the W10 environment.

Thanks Again Parallels Support.

John