Crossover

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by veggiedude, Aug 31, 2006.

1. veggiedude

veggiedude Hunter

Codeweavers have released Crossover, as promised (yes, it's still August), and it is interesting and shows promise, but as a first beta, it is far from being for Primetime. Looks like half a year at least before it could be suitable for a 1.0 release. But that is my first impression.

I can see many people using both Parallels and Crossover for different things and at the same time, but for right now, Crossover is mainly for geeks on the bleeding edge.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  2. Robster

Robster Hunter

I'm a geek and on the bleeding edge but I think you are right on both points.

It is FAR from prime time and will take a while to mature but I also can see myself using both Crossover and Parallels.

There are times when all I need is a Windows browser, if Crossover can get IE 6 running well then this will do me but I honestly think I will continue to use Parallels for my mainstream Outllook, Siebel and Office requirements.

Robin

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This appears to be a tool that brings right to the Mac desktop and OS all the horror of Windows that I chose to avoid by buying a Mac. I much prefer to keep Windows in a sandbox where it plays nice, alone.

With Parallels, Windows is a commodity - with Crossover it is a partner. JMO.

dp

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

dkp,

Good analogy, and almost all correct. With Crossover, there is no Windohs. Just the win32 based programs. But that still leaves them being win32 based programs though.........doesn't it.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Yes - and isn't it really at the application layer that much of the mischief occurs?

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

So much of what Bill Gates does, just reminds me of a naughty little boy.

7. wesley

wesley Pro

True to their word, yes, but it looks like the folks just slapped a beta according to the timeframe, not the readiness of the product.

8. lepremier

lepremier Junior Member

Possible problem

Anyone had a problem after the installation of this program.....?????
    I installed it and I will say "coincidentally" (just to avoid the lawsuits) I have spent the last few hours repairing my Mac. Something seemed to have corrupted my User's folder and a new User (same name as original), with only basic data, was created. I lost the original desktop and dock, everything was still on the HD in the original User folder, I just had to redo it!!
    Maybe just a coincidence....but it WAS the last thing that I did before.....poof!!

9. Robster

Robster Hunter

While I cannot get IE6 to work properly I have not had (touch wood) any problems on my Mac since installing Crossover.

Robin

10. stosh1985

stosh1985 Junior Member

Less than stellar...

Crossover's IE6 isn't flawless by any means. The biggest issue is debug menus simply don't show. There are also having problems with applications that call other executables during execution. Consequently, several of the apps I have tried to install haven't run. Not to mention there is the same crappy rendering as X11 has. I am less than impressed. I will be deleting CrossOver and see what happens in the future.