ctrl + shift + = not working in VM (excel)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JunaidQ, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JunaidQ

JunaidQ Bit poster

I just upgraded from parallels 10 to 13. My main use for parallels is Excel on my mac.

There are two shortcuts that aren't working for me

ctrl + shift + = -- when a column is highlighted this inserts a new column or row next to the old one in excel and is no longer working for me
    ctrl + shift + - -- this shortcut deletes a cell and is no longer working for me

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi JunaidQ
    First thing is to make sure you have updated parallels tools to reinstall Parallels tools.
    You can always check or map short cuts:
    Parallels Desktop>Preferences>Shortcuts>Click on your VM name to see your shortcuts >All of your mapped shortcuts for that vm will appear on the right
    To change a short cut click on the + sign a drop down menu will appear make changes there.
    Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.43.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 8.43.10 AM.png

3. GregoryM7

GregoryM7 Bit poster

It's not really a windows shortcut. Excel by default uses ctrl + and ctrl - to insert and remove rows. This also stopped working for me as soon as I updated to 13. My specific implementation is that I use it on a Macbook Pro, so to get ctrl +, you have to do ctrl shift + since the + is the secondary character on the = key.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @GregoryM7, we released a new update Parallels Desktop for Mac 13 Hotfix 1 (13.0.1-42947) and recommend installing Parallels Desktop updates as soon as they are available because they contain critical fixes and improvements.
    To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

5. JunaidQ

JunaidQ Bit poster

Thanks for the note but Excel does not use ctrl + to insert rows, it uses ctrl shift + to insert rows. I tried doing what you suggested (ctrl shift + ) and it still doesn't work for me. Did you try to reconfigure that shortcut in preferences?

6. GregoryM7

GregoryM7 Bit poster

On a regular 104 key keyboard, the ctrl + is the shortcut, if you are on a laptop you need the shift to invoke the + which is secondary to the =

7. GregoryM7

GregoryM7 Bit poster

I have 13.0.1 installed and the issue is not fixed.
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.12.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-04 at 9.14.57 AM.png

8. MunM

MunM Bit poster

I've got the Version 13.0.1 too and have the same issues. Ctrl + Shift + + not working.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @MunM, did you update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108)? We released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

11. GregoryM7

GregoryM7 Bit poster

I finally had time to install this and can confirm that this is fixed. Thank you

12. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Glad to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please get back to us for any further queries. Thanks!