Custom themes in a multi-tenant deployment

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by hokeyplayer, Oct 7, 2022.

1. hokeyplayer

hokeyplayer Bit poster

Has anyone used the company Custom Interface Solutions (website here) to make custom themes for their RAS portal? I purchased a custom theme (similar to this) which came out beautiful! I am trying to figure out how to deploy this in a multi-tenant deployment with multiple gateways (for fail over / load balancing as shown below). I would like to provide a customized interface for each customer I have coming through my multi-tenant infrastructure.

[​IMG]

The "installation" method is to copy a folder they provide (with a bunch of CSS files shown here) into the directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Parallels\ApplicationServer\2XHTML5Gateway\www

The problem is it seems like RAS doesn't keep separate files for each customer's theme it seems like. As you overwrite some core files when you "install" this their theme.

I am curious if anyone out there has got this working where you can have multiple themes created by modifying the CSS code for each tenant.

upload_2022-10-7_12-43-5.png

2. jpc

jpc Pro

As far as I know, RAS (officially) supports only a handful of theming settings (mainly banner/favicon and some colour settings) for different RAS Themes.
    You might be able to get around that by using URL or Request rewriting. Unfortunately, since the Parallels Web/Html5 portal does not seem to send the theme as part of the header for css/image files) you might end up fighting against RAS itself unless the rewrite rules are bound to some cookie (e.g. the ASP.NET_SessionId).

3. hokeyplayer

hokeyplayer Bit poster

I am trying to determine where they actually reside. The diagram shows on the Tenant CB, but browsing I don't see any files related to the theme on that machine.

4. jpc

jpc Pro

Themes in RAS are a group of settings, not just UI related, that can be configured per 'Theme'. Only the configurable parts are stored for each 'Theme'. All the other components forming part of the 'gateway' (such as the Html5/Web portal) are shared as common resources between all tenants.

Even if the configurable settings are changed manually, these do not currently allow full Html5/Web portal customisation. If you need support for such functionality, please file it in the feature suggestion part of this forum (https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-remote-application-server-feature-suggestions.767/) or talk to support.

Full Html5/Web portal customisation is, as far as I know, allowed but not officially supported by Parallels so you might need to contact your theme vendor (at the same time) for instructions, just in case they have seen such use cases.

The only thing I can think of as a stop-gap solution would be to use some sort of intermediate http proxy between the users and the RAS gateway to do url rewriting for you based on cookies and point to the desired files. (Another less desirable option would be a full RAS deployment for each tenant.)