Cut internet from Windows XP VM?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PaulC30, Oct 6, 2020.

1. PaulC30

PaulC30 Junior Member

I am looking at getting a stripped down version of Windows XP to run inside the latest Parallels Desktop 16.

I only need this intergrated small XP footprint to run 2 older programs so do not need many of the Windows features, and no internet (especially as XP can be vulnerable now as its not officially supported)

So quick question, can I block the internet quite easily on an old VM like XP, as I don't need any internet access?
    Will it be safe?
    Does Parallels allow for a simple block on any incoming traffic, and so i can just use my MacOS for any internet/Google etc?
    Or is the internet safe and protected when the VM is run through Parallels 16?

Thank you

2. You can use "Host only" network type if you don't want to connect your VM to internet.
    Also what do you mean "internet safe and protected" ?

PaulC30 likes this.
  3. PaulC30

PaulC30 Junior Member

Hi there, What I mean by "internet safe and protected" is that Windows XP is now unsupported and vulnerable to the outside world, so hence cutting off the internet to this VM or using the host MacOS through this.

I do not need the internet on Windows XP so just wanted to make sure that it was cut and not vulnerable through Parallels Desktop

Is that the case?

Thanks