d3dx9_43.dll Missing Skyrim

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DashtonP, May 30, 2019.

1. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

Hi there,
    I installed Skyrim in my Parallels 14 VM, and after installing some mods it said 'd3dx9_43.dll' is missing at game startup and crashed. I saw that this was a common problem with the game / mods itself and the solution was to download the d3dx9_43.dll (Microsoft DirectX 9.0c) from the Microsoft website. I did this in my Windows 10 VM as described and it now runs without showing the error at startup:
    My question really is whether it is okay to install these DirectX components from Microsoft in the Parallels VM environment? I thought that Parallels had to supply its own version of DirectX, and the versions from Microsoft wouldn't work on the Parallels VM, or am I incorrect in assuming this? I am thinking the latter as the game now starts after installing the DirectX package from Microsoft.

2. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

I guess my question is fundamentally how DirectX operates in the Parallels VM environment... I'm just realizing now that many games that run in Parallels include their own DirectX packages that, for example, install via Steam installer etc. So I think I may be answering my own question here in that as long as it is a DirectX version supported by parallels (DX9 / 10) it is okay to install the packages provided by Microsoft, and that they in fact do work?