Default Sharing Behavior

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AndreasK38, Nov 5, 2021.

1. AndreasK38

AndreasK38 Bit poster

I really like Parallels Desktop for Mac, but what has been bothering me for years is its default sharing behavior.

Whenever a new VM is created, all sharing features are automatically enabled. The VM can then access all files stored on my Mac volumes by default and applications are shared with each other. So for each VM I click through the settings again and turn off sharing manually. That is annoying and also not pleasant when you forget it once.

I also don't find the isolation feature an adequate alternative, firstly because it cannot be enabled by default as well, and secondly people generally want to copy and paste, whereas they don't want to share all volumes all the time with all newly creates VMs.

I therefore propose a new general setting in the preferences security pane to disable application and volume sharing by default. Following "security by default" I then have the certainty that by default nothing is exposed to the VM and if I want to, I can manually enable sharing for the individual VM.

MatthewR20 likes this.