defaults to 800x600 in window mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Mark Litherland, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Mark Litherland

Mark Litherland Bit poster

I use a MacBook Pro 10.5.8 with an XP guest OS in window mode, Parallels v5.0.9310. I frequently switch between a dual-display at my desk to a mirrored display on conference room projectors, to running Windows in fullscreen mode for certain things. I have my windowed resolution set to 1280x800 and I like that. Then I switch to either full screen mode or go to a conference room where the projector only supports 1024x768. Those work fine. Then I switch back to windowed mode and the VM is defaulted back to 800x600 every single time. Yes I can reset it with a couple clicks but the real problem is ALL my "Windows" windows have been resized to a very small size and I have to resize every one. Real pain.

Is there a way for Parallels to remember my preferred Windows resolution and NOT default back to 800x600? Parallels 4 didn't do this, but it's a problem in 5. Thanks.

Mark

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Deactivate the "Parallels Coherence Service" and the "Parallels Tools Service" in Windows, using msconfig. Mind that you deactivate these two services only. For some strange reason the two services currently prevent the screen size to be properly re-set when the VM is running in full screen, a screen resolution switch occurs, and later a switch back to the original resolution should occur.