Deleted my Bootcamp install b/c I thought I'd be playing C&C 3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by oneway23, Jun 9, 2007.

1. oneway23

oneway23 Junior Member

"3D Graphics "
    The games you demand

So says the banner above this post. The one element that I'm certain was deterring many a Boot Camp user from making the jump. Believing the hype, I impulsively deleted my Boot Camp setup (assuring myself I had been liberated from the torment of re-boot hell), fired up Parallels, and after using Transporter to migrate an older tower config, proceeded to install Command and Conquer 3. Needless to say, the game failed to make it past the intro splash screen....Boo Hoo, another naive user duped I know....Bottom line is that C&C 3 is another off-limit indulgence. Never thought it'd be presumed that I was hoping to play Wolfenstein 3-D.

2. jekins

jekins Bit poster

Yeah...

I'm in the same boat, except that I didn't go as far as to delete my bootcamp partition - dunno why you did that. That reminds me of Back to the Future 3 where Biff Tannen's horse threw a show that Doc Brown put on it, and Doc offered to re-shoe the horse, but Tannen complained he shot the horse 'cause he was pissed off.

So, advice... don't shoot your horse and then complain about it.

But anyway, I was hoping for C&C3 to work too - it's the only PC game I care to play right now (until Starcraft 2 comes out, which has simultaneous Mac support anyway). I got further than you did actually. My previously existing bootcamp partition with C&C3 actually gets past the intro, to the menus, and even into the game itself (though things are slow), where it finally is all screwed up on anything that's supposed to be 3D on the screen. I can see the control panel where you add units, etc., but the entire game screen is just a solid tan color and map scrolling happens at a snail's pace.

Furthermore, I tried installing a completely new Virtual Machine with a fresh copy of WinXP, updated with all the latest windows updates... that didn't work either. In fact, in that case, I can't even get EA link working properly. Every time I try to open EA link to download the game, it just locks up and the process core.exe starts indefinitely running at 99% CPU usage.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You over-committed and that's never a good idea with new software. Accept that you've learned a lesson and move on. You can't turn back the clock. The hand, having writ, moves on. etc.

4. jekins

jekins Bit poster

DirectX version compatibility...

As a followup... I checked out the minimum requirements for C&C3, and it seems to indicate that directX 9c is required. I guess this is why it's not running C&C3 properly since Parallels 3.0 states it's compatible with DirectX 8.1 or something, right?

Oh well... guess I'll have to keep bootcamping and then just get Starcraft natively on the Mac when it comes out. So much for Parallels 3D.