1. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

I am migrating from my iMac Pro to a new M2 MacBook, and I need to verify that my Windows 11 ARM vm will really work for installing Autodesk products, prior to activating the license and reformatting the iMac for sale. I am at the logon screen on the new laptop, and I just want to be 100% sure that logging in will NOT also automatically activate the associated license on the new device, as I have a few days of work still to do on the old device. The plan is to use the new laptop in demo mode for a couple of days, to get my head around how the new Parallels works, how Windows 11 works, etc, while doing actual work on the iMac. Then on Thursday I will activate Parallels on the MacBook, transfer any last files, and reformat the iMac. Can someone verify that this course of action is viable? If I activate on the MacBook now, and loose access to the Intel VMs on the iMac it would be catastrophic.

2. Maxim Rasulov

Maxim Rasulov Staff Member

Hello.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Logging in to Parallels Desktop account will not automatically activate the already activated license on the new Mac or deactivate the license on an old Mac, this action has to be done manually, when migrating and specifically confirming that you wish to deactivate the license on the previous Mac.
    For additional information, please check the following article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/123461

You should be able to run a 14-day Trial (option should be available at the bottom of the "Account & License" page on the new Mac, if it haven't run trials yet recently) on your new machine after logging in, as you are verifying the Autodesk software, and once the verification and migration are complete, just activate the license from your "Parallels Desktop" -> "Account & License" -> select your license and activate Parallels Desktop on your new machine.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Have a nice week!